Campus Farmers’ Market Could Crop Up This Spring

Whole Foods may gain some competition in the healthy snacks department this year as a homegrown Georgetown market opens up on campus.

The Georgetown Farmers’ Market may appear on the Hilltop as early as this spring, according to Bre Donald (NHS ’12), co-creator of the project. The test run will occur in April, while the official launch is planned for the fall. The tentative location has been set for Healy Circle.

“Students are thrilled that a market is coming to campus,” Donald said. “It is clear that there is a need for fresh produce on campus.”

Plans for the Farmers’ Market have seen progress since Donald and Melissa Gadsden (NHS ’12) won a $3,000 Reimagine Georgetown grant for the proposal and an additional $2,250 from the GUSA Fund. The Reimagine Georgetown money will go toward covering the costs of marketing, an electrician and a Department of Public Safety officer’s supervision, Donald explained.

In preparation for the opening, organizers and supporters plan to advertise extensively around campus and create a website for the market.

“We hope to also send out letters to administrators to invite them to attend the first market,” Donald said. “In terms of community outreach, we plan on advertising in local newspapers and other locations, depending on what partnerships are formed.”

For the time being, however, the pair is focusing on drumming up support from potential vendors and securing the final go-ahead from the administration.

The market will provide fresh, U.S. Department of Agriculture approved and sustainably grown produce and dairy products, along with goods such as flowers, honey and coffee. Target consumers include Georgetown students, faculty and staff, and members of the surrounding community.

“We hope to have a variety of vendors involved,” Donald said. “There are a few different partnerships that we are trying to work out with local nonprofit organizations, restaurants, other local markets and local farms.”

The planning process has involved members of The Corp, the Georgetown Gastronomes and Georgetown University Student Association. Donald noted that the Office of the Senior Vice President, University Dining Services and the Office of Student Affairs have also been very supportive.

Under the current business model, none of the revenue from sales will go toward the market itself and will instead go straight to the vendors. Organizers hope to support the program with fees from the vendors.

“Down the line, we hope to make this a sustainable market which will require the vendors involved to pay a small fee in order to attend,” Donald said.

Currently, the GUSA Senate is considering legislation concerning the creation of a Farmers’ Market Initiative in the executive branch. Chairman of the Student Life Committee Mike Barclay (COL ’12) has been instrumental in pushing forward this legislation, which could increase the longevity of the project.

“The nature of the Farmers’ Market requires individuals dedicated to directing the initiative, which is better suited to executive appointment while still anchoring the Farmers’ Market in GUSA,” he said. “Bre will continue to be heavily involved in implementing the Farmers’ Market, and I would also encourage interested students to reach out to her to get involved.”

Some students said that they are hungry for the creation of such a market.

“It’s about time Georgetown has a venue where students can buy fresh fruits and vegetables. Especially since I live in an apartment, it’s always really hard to try to buy fresh produce, ” saidJade Yoo (COL ’13), who lives in Alumni Square.

“I think that it’s always been a hassle going to buy groceries so it seems like it would be nice for there to be an option on campus,” Alma Huerta (SFS ’13) agreed. “But I’m not sure how people will react. Some might think that it’s a bother if you have to walk through [the market] to get to their next class in Walsh.”

Yoo did express concerns over payment options and timing.

“Most farmers’ markets are cash only, and most kids don’t carry around cash. They’ll definitely have to take that into consideration,” she said. “I think timing will also be a difficult issue because so many students have different schedules. Also, if it’s too early in the day, it might not draw enough kids from their beds.”