Campus Assault Case Dropped

Prosecutors dropped simple assault charges against three Georgetown football players and a fourth student last week stemming from an alleged Henle Village beating in October. Another athlete charged with simple assault – lacrosse player Daniel D’Agnes (COL ’08) – has his next court date set for April, court records show.

Football players Daniel Mita (COL ’08), Charles Curtis (COL ’08) and Christopher Higgins (COL ’08) stood charged with Richard Calle (MSB ’08) of beating Daniel Kennedy (MSB ’08) after Kennedy tried to get into a Henle Village party last Oct. 15.

According to a court affidavit, Mita, Curtis and Calle began arguing with Kennedy after they found him outside the apartment door of Henle 93. Mita allegedly shoved Kennedy and Kennedy shoved him back. Then, the documents allege, Mita, Curtis and Calle “shoved [Kennedy] into a corner adjacent to the dorm room door causing [Kennedy] to lose his balance.” Calle choked Kennedy and then, along with Curtis, picked Kennedy up, threw him down a flight of stairs and began punching him, the affidavit said.

Football player Christopher Higgins (COL ’08) joined in the attack, running down the stairs, straddling Kennedy and punching him before kicking him “about his head repeatedly,” the documents alleged.

“Don’t ever fucking come up here .” Higgins told Kennedy as he attacked him, according to the documents.

Court records show that charges were dropped Jan. 18 after Mita, Curtis, Higgins and Calle completed the Superior Court’s mediation program with Kennedy.

All five students involved in the incident declined comment, citing the terms of the mediation agreement.

D’Agnes is facing charges after he allegedly struck a man on Wisconsin Avenue Nov. 5. D’Agnes and two companions, Patrick Bonanno, a Providence Collge student, and Collin Finnerty, a Duke University student, punched a man identified in court records as Jeffrey O. Bloxgom in the face after “he told them to stop calling him gay and other derogatory names,” court records allege. D’Agnes, Bonnano and Finnerty “without provocation attacked him busting his lip and bruising his chin,” Bloxgom told police. All three were arrested and charged with simple assault.

D’Agnes, Bonanno and Finnerty declined comment. Bloxgom could not be reached for comment

The cases of the three alleged attackers are currently pending, and District of Columbia Superior Court spokeswoman Leah Gurowitz said that all three cases will be heard in April.

It is not clear what, if any, university disciplinary sanctions the Georgetown students allegedly involved have faced.

“I can’t go into detail because it wouldn’t be fair,” said Athletic Department spokesman Bill Shapland. “We can’t anticipate the legal process and we can’t know what’s going to happen.”

University spokesman Erik Smulson also declined comment on specific cases

“I can assure you that all students, whether athletes or not, receive the same treatment under Georgetown’s disciplinary process,” he said.