Bottom of the Order Helps GU Crush Hornets

hoya1050472890
Senior centerfielder and leadoff hitter Tommy Lee knocked in a run during Wednesday’s win, but it was the bottom of the order that dealt the most damage, driving in 10 of the team’s 11 runs.

When it rains, it pours.

So it went for Georgetown on Wednesday afternoon, as the Hoyas opened up the offensive floodgates en route to a 12-1 victory over the Delaware State Hornets amid drizzly, dreary conditions.

Freshman Corbin Blakey led the charge with four RBIs, and sophomore pitcher Bobby Kirby improved his record to 4-0, throwing five innings and allowing just one run.

The win propelled the Hoyas over the .500 mark; the Blue and Gray now stand at 19-18 overall.

Despite the muddled field conditions, Georgetown wasted no time getting on the board. In the top of the second, the Hoyas strung together a four-run inning, highlighted by a two-RBI single courtesy of Blakey.

The Blue and Gray built upon their lead the next inning, as sophomore catcher Kevin Johnson hit a towering shot to left, extending the Hoya lead to 6-0. Head Coach Pete Wilk’s squad would tack on one more run in the inning, giving the Hoyas a 7-0 advantage after only three innings of play.

Georgetown proceeded to add three more runs in the top of the fifth, extending their lead to 10-1. Blakey, senior centerfielder Tommy Lee and freshman catcher Justin Leeson each drove in a run.

After scoring only two runs in its previous contest, Georgetown erased any potential indications of an offensive slump. Not only did the Hoyas score 12 runs on 11 hits, but more impressively, the bottom four batters in the order went 9-for-15 on the day, totaling 10 RBIs and eight runs scored.

Currently tied for last in the Big East with a 2-10 conference record, it’s safe to say that the Hoyas have mostly disappointed in Big East play. In many ways, however, the numbers are misleading. With UConn, Rutgers and South Florida all out of the way, Georgetown will have some opportunities to climb the standings in the next few weeks.

“I hate to say it gets easier, but there is definitely more room for error,” Wilk said.

“We’re still in the mix, here. . We could still make these playoffs, and these next teams are clearly on a lower level. Depth is more in our favor here.”

The Hoyas will travel to Queens, N.Y. this weekend to face St. John’s, who is currently sixth in the Big East with a respectable 7-5 conference record.

After being swept by Connecticut last weekend, Wilk only had one thing to say about the upcoming series against the Red Storm.

“We need to get back on the winning side of things,” the head coach said.

Although the most formidable conference foes are now in Georgetown’s rearview mirror, the Hoyas will venture out of conference next week to play one of the best teams in the country, the No. 4-ranked Virginia Cavaliers.

Traditionally, UVA boasts one of the most prestigious programs in the country, and they have the recent history to prove it. In last year’s NCAA tournament, the Cavaliers beat the previously undefeated Stephen Strasburg, widely considered one of the best pitching prospects of the past decade and the first overall pick in last summer’s MLB draft.

“We really have nothing to lose against them,” Wilk said. “We need to take the next step and a win against these guys would let us do that.”

Wilk, however, stressed the importance of not looking too far ahead.

“We need to be focused on the weekend.”

Georgetown returns to action tonight in a crucial series against St. Johns. First pitch is slated for 6 p.m.