Best Restaurants in Georgetown and DC

QUICK MEALS IN GEORGETOWN

If you are in a rush or just want a quick bite, there are quite a few fast, casual spots not too far from campus. Wisemiller’s Grocery & Deli – better known as Wisey’s – is a favorite among students. Classic sandwiches include the Chicken Madness – with grilled chicken, peppers and provolone cheese folded in – and the Hot Chick — which includes chopped chicken tenders, cheese and spicy mayo. Be sure to check out the Oreo cookies if you still have room for dessert.

Chaia, a recently opened taco joint, gained popularity with students after its stint at Georgetown’s popular Wednesday farmers’ market. It serves exclusively farm-to-table vegetarian tacos that even meat lovers enjoy.

Sweetgreen, a Chipotle-style salad shop founded by Georgetown alumni, has tons of different options for even the pickiest eaters. The guacamole greens salad is the perfect combination of buttery avocado, jalapeno and cilantro vinaigrette.

Kintaro, a sushi shop across the street from Georgetown Cupcake, is a casual lunch spot with a small — but high quality — selection of sushi and sashimi. The chicken karaage is a perfectly crispy and tender appetizer, and the tonkatsu ramen does an adequate job for any ramen craving.

Wingo’s near O Street and Wisconsin Avenue serves wings available with 20 different sauces at varying spice levels. Chili dogs and cheese fries are also great choices. Wingo’s Wednesdays, on which wings are half priced, are a late-night classic.

CLASSIC GEORGETOWN DESTINATIONS

If you want to spend an afternoon hanging out with friends, Booeymonger – or Booey’s for short – is a convenient spot. With beer pitchers at just six dollars and change during happy hour, Booey’s is a great place to relax for cheap. The breakfast sandwich – Chicken Little – is a filling option with bacon, egg and cheese on your choice of a bagel.

Without a doubt, The Tombs is deeply ingrained in any student’s Georgetown experience. An underground joint with all your classic pub food dishes, this is the place to go for your 21st birthday and thereby first place all Georgetown student have their first official drink. A popular option is the chicken parmesan, which is only served on Wednesdays. Pro tip: It’s always referred to as “Tombs” and never “The Tombs.”

Mai Thai, a Thai and Japanese restaurant on Prospect Street, is a great restaurant to grab dinner with friends. Portions are so large that you will have enough to take home for lunch the next day. The basil fried rice is flavorful and spicy, and the drunken noodles are a popular choice as well.

If you trek down toward the waterfront, il Canale is a fantastic Italian restaurant with delicious pizzas. One of the best pizzas is the diavola: margarita pizza with spicy salami. It is also a popular date spot, for those looking for your Hoya loves.

TREAT-YOURSELF MEALS

When your parents are in town and want to spoil you a non-Leo’s meal or during the end of exam week, there are plenty of restaurants in town to treat yourself. Rasika, an Indian restaurant with two locations in D.C., has great dishes for sharing. Try the palak chaat appetizer, which is composed of perfectly crispy spinach with a yogurt dressing.

Blue Duck Tavern, a few blocks from M Street downtown, is a family-style restaurant with phenomenal flavor pairings that often change based on seasonality. The squid ink cavatelli and the wild king salmon are delicious dishes, and its weekend brunches are also a popular choice.

For a nice restaurant closer to campus, Das Ethiopian Cuisine serves shared plates of various vegetables and meats with injera – a type of rolled spongey bread. Its short ribs, grilled, savory and sauteed with onions, are a hearty choice.

Brunching
The most famous brunch in Georgetown is at Farmers, Fishers, Bakers down by the waterfront. The all-you-can-eat weekend and holiday brunches are relatively pricey but worth it on a special occasion. The crab dip and honey fried chicken are to die for, and other breakfast specials such as bruleed grapefruit and egg scrambles are worth a taste as well.

Another all-you-can-eat spot – with drinks included – is Boqueria, a tapas joint near Dupont Circle. While it is famous for its sangria, the leche de pantera is an underrated and absolutely fantastic coffee-flavored cocktail. Although not on the all-you-can-eat menu, Boqueria’s paella and blistered shishito peppers are great picks as well.

For crepes and French food, Café Bonaparte is a quaint spot on Wisconsin Avenue. Be aware, the restaurant does not take reservations and the line can get long during brunch, but it is always worth the wait.

MAKING A DAY OF IT

If you want to spend a day in town and make a day of your excursion, try heading over to Eastern Market to survey all the vendors’ stalls and grab some fresh fruits and vegetables. After a morning of shopping, the best place to grab a bite to eat is at Market Lunch, a small vendor inside the market’s building. Its weekend shrimp and grits are popular, as are its blueberry buckwheat pancakes.

If you want to check out D.C.’s Chinatown, grab a bowl of spicy miso ramen from Daikaya – a perfect meal just before a movie at the nearby theater or a basketball game at the Verizon Center.

For a lazy but productive Sunday afternoon, stop by A Baked Joint near the Georgetown University Law Center in Mount Vernon for a cup of coffee and its open-faced smoked salmon sandwich. The fried capers on top leave a pleasing salty bite. For dessert, grab a slice of cake or a chocolate chip cookie. The open and inviting atmosphere also makes it the perfect place to read a book, do homework or study for an exam.

COFFEE AND SWEETS

For a cup of coffee, the best in Georgetown is Baked & Wired, where you can also grab a tangy vanilla yogurt or flakey chocolate croissant. Its cupcakes are by far better than the tourist trap Georgetown Cupcake, and be sure to try the Uniporn & Rainho — funfetti — cupcake.

Thomas Sweet is a great ice cream spot on Wisconsin Avenue with tons of flavors, toppings and cone choices. If you are paying by card, keep in mind that it has a credit card minimum of $5.50.

District Doughnut, in Cady’s Ally, is a popup of a brick and mortar store that serves great seasonal donuts and flavorful iced coffee.