The Georgetown baseball team continued its early season struggles last weekend, dropping all three games in its series against Davidson. The team followed up the series with a loss to The George Washington University on Tuesday.

The Hoyas (0-7) travelled to Davidson, N.C., to take on the Wildcats (7-1) for three contests last weekend. The Blue and Gray dropped the first game of the series 9-2 after falling behind early and struggling to recover. Sophomore pitcher Nick Morreale started on the mound for Georgetown and went four innings while allowing six runs, four of which were earned, on five hits and five walks.

Davidson scored four runs in the first inning and did not look back from there. The bright spot of the Hoyas’ offense was sophomore outfielder Ryan M. Davis,  who had two hits and a stolen base. The Hoyas produced their first run when senior outfielder Austin Shirley singled and later came around to score on a wild pitch on the top of the third inning, and their only other run when senior outfielder Michael DeRenzi reached on an error and eventually scored on a passed ball on the top of the fourth.

Game two of the series was played Saturday at Wilson Field on Davidson College’s campus. Despite a respectable five-run showing from the Georgetown offense, the Hoyas fell 16-5 to the Wildcats. Senior Kevin Superko was Georgetown’s starting pitcher and only went two innings, allowing 10 runs.

The Georgetown offense was led by senior infielder Jake Bernstein, who had a pair of hits, including his first home run of the 2018 campaign. Despite making some noise in the top half of the fourth inning, with hits by sophomore John Simourian and freshman infielder Eddie McCabe, the Hoyas once again could not bounce back from the early deficit.

The series finale took place Sunday, as freshman pitcher Owen Lamon took the mound for Georgetown. Game three was another offensive  contest, as Georgetown eventually fell to Davidson 10-5.

Lamon allowed five runs on four hits, while striking out four. The Hoyas also had pitching appearances from senior Jimmy Swad and freshman Beau Dana, who made his collegiate debut for Georgetown.

Georgetown fell behind early but was energized by a solo homer from senior catcher Richie O’Reilly in the top of the third. O’Reilly finished the day with two hits and three RBIs. Davis and senior catcher Sammy Stevens also contributed to Georgetown’s offense, hitting back-to-back doubles in the top of the fourth.

The game was tied up at five heading into the bottom frame of the sixth inning, but Davidson answered by plating five and going on to win the game.

Georgetown continued its season with a midweek game against GWU (2-5) on Tuesday. The Blue and Gray lost a tight one to the Colonials, falling 6-3. The game was played at GWU’s home field, Bancroft Park in Arlington, Va.

Georgetown jumped out to an early lead, benefiting from Davis’ RBI single in the top of the first to make the score 1-0. The lead was extended in the top of the fifth when McCabe doubled in a run. However, the Hoyas could not hold on. The Colonials took the lead in the bottom of the seventh and held on to it.

Junior pitcher Jack Cushing started on the mound for Georgetown and went six-plus innings. Cushing allowed four earned runs on five hits. Superko and Swad both pitched in relief for the Hoyas.

The Georgetown baseball team is set to continue its season when it departs for its 10-day spring-break trip to Port Charlotte, Fla., to play in the Snowbird Baseball Classic. The Hoyas plan to play games against Mount St. Mary’s, Dartmouth, Northeastern, Western Michigan and Saint Joseph’s on the trip. Georgetown looks to pick up a few wins to reverse the course of its early season.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *