BASEBALL & SOFTBALL | Baseball Continues Nonconference Slump; Softball Opens Big East Play With Series Win

GUHOYAS%7C+Senior+infielder+Ryan+Weisenberg+looks+to+get+on+base.+Weisenberg+had+one+hit+in+the+series+against+Hartford.+
GUHOYAS| Senior infielder Ryan Weisenberg looks to get on base. Weisenberg had one hit in the series against Hartford.

After splitting its previous four-game series with Princeton, the Georgetown baseball team ran into another rough patch as it dropped all three home games in its series against Hartford on March 23 and 24. Meanwhile, during the same weekend, the Georgetown softball team bounced back from a 15-4 loss to take two games out of three against Creighton in its opening series of Big East conference play.

After the first game in the Hartford series was postponed in the fourth inning because of inclement weather Friday, March 22, the Hoyas (6-18) struggled to get any offense going and were outscored 14-1 by the Hawks (5-11) in the continuation of that game Saturday morning. Georgetown’s lone run in the game came from sophomore infielder Eddie McCabe, who drove in sophomore outfielder Kai Nelson in the ninth inning when the outcome of the game was already all but decided.

The second game of the series was a much tighter contest, featuring strong pitching performances from junior Brent Killam and sophomore Owen Lamon, who combined to allow only two runs over nine innings. Georgetown was down 1-0 going into the eighth inning when junior infielder John Simourian laid down a pinch-hit safety squeeze to bring home sophomore catcher Ryan Davis. Davis had doubled to get into scoring position and advanced to third on a groundout. The game, unfortunately, ended in heartbreak for the Hoyas, as a Hartford solo home run in the top of the ninth spoiled the late Georgetown rally.

GUHOYAS | Senior infielder Ryan Weisenberg, above, looks to get on base. Weisenberg had one hit in the series against Hartford.

In the final game of the tripleheader, Hartford scored all four of its runs in the third inning. Graduate student transfer outfielder Kyle Ruedisili helped Georgetown pull within three in the fourth inning with an RBI single, and sophomore infielder Yareb Martinez scored later in the inning on a wild pitch. The Hoyas managed to put runners on base in both the eighth and ninth innings but could not muster up a big hit to keep the rally alive and fell 4-2.

After a tough sequence of games, Georgetown will look to bounce back in the last game of its five-game home stretch against Navy on Wednesday, March 27, at Shirley Povich Field before embarking on a three-game road trip to face Eastern Tennessee State University in Johnson City, Tenn.

The Georgetown softball team saw better outcomes in its three-game series against Creighton to open Big East conference play.

The series began with a doubleheader Saturday, March 23, where the Hoyas (9-22, 2-1 Big East) suffered a painful late-game loss. Georgetown led 4-2 going into the top of the sixth inning when chaos ensued. Creighton (10-11, 1-2 Big East) scored 12 runs in the inning, seven of them unearned, and went on to win the game 14-5.

The crunchtime collapse in the first game would be the only blemish on an otherwise excellent day — and series — for the Hoyas. In the second game, the Blue and Gray was down 4-1 going into the bottom of the sixth inning, when junior outfielder Alexa Dolby hit a go-ahead three-run home run to put Georgetown back on top by one. Creighton then responded with a two-out solo home run to tie the game in the top of the seventh. Freshman infielder Mae Forshey finished off what Dolby started in the previous inning with a walk-off single to seal the 6-5 win and split the doubleheader.

Notably, junior pitcher Anna Brooks Pacha recorded 10 strikeouts in the first contest, which pushed her to third all-time in program history. Senior catcher Sarah Bennett also had a standout day, totalling three home runs and four RBIs across the two contests and earning Big East player of the week honors.

The last game of the three-game series featured another exciting Georgetown comeback. The Hoyas entered the bottom of the sixth inning trailing 4-1. With two outs and the bases loaded, senior utility player Kelly Amen stepped to the plate and delivered the go-ahead grand slam over the left-field fence. Bennett had another great game as she reached base four times in the contest, and the Hoyas went on to win the game 5-4.

The softball team will look to build on its momentum as it travels to Queens, N.Y., to face St. John’s in another three-game Big East showdown.