Asubuhi Celebrates 25 Years

This year marks the 25th year of the publication of Asubuhi, the semi-annual newsletter from the African Studies Program of Georgetown University’s Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service.

The newsletter varies in length from 5 to 20 pages and is published at the beginning of each semester. Staffers include a variety of students and professors, who work in tandem to publish a physical and online version of the newsletter for consumption. The work is distributed throughout campus in a paper copy, sent via email to alumni and students and is also available on the African Studies Program website.

The newsletter has recorded the collective journey of the students, faculty and alumni involved in the program and will continue to serve as an important communication channel for those interested in African affairs in the Georgetown community.

Asubuhi, whose name was derived from the Swahili word meaning “morning,” published its first issue April 1990. It corresponded to the changes in the university during the decade, which included a rising interest in African affairs among the student body and increasing opportunities for students to be directly engaged in Africa-related programs. In addition, events in Africa, such as the apartheid in South Africa and the growing condemnation from the international community, also attracted Georgetown’s attention.

“Georgetown’s African Studies was increasing in size — both enrollments and course offerings — in the mid-1980s. I hoped that Asubuhi would help to publicize the program’s offerings and to link faculty and students together,” former African Studies program director Herbert M. Howe wrote in an email. “Students increasingly were studying in Africa during their junior year, and Asubuhi could keep them linked to the African Studies program while helping to publicize the study abroad programs.”

The newsletter’s regular features include the coverage of available Africa-related programs, past and upcoming events, notable activities in the African Studies Program and studying and working opportunities in Africa. It also profiles some of the students and alumni engaged in works related to African development.

“Its role is to provide current events cataloging and updates our various constituencies — current and former students, faculties and colleagues,” Associate Professor and African Studies Program Director Scott D. Taylor said. “[Asubuhi is] a good communication tool and a good benchmark of how well we are doing in terms of our activities and outreach.”

Currently, Asubuhi is available both in the online version and in paper copies around campus.

Among many changes concerning Asubuhi that happened over the years, the shift in audience has been one of the defining trends. From a largely internal and program-centric publication at the beginning, Asubuhi has slowly expanded to acquire a wider audience outside of the program and the School of Foreign Service, reaching the entire Georgetown community, as reflected in the diverse range of content it now covers.

“It has evolved into as much an internal as an external publication,” Taylor said. “Someone who is not necessarily an alumnus of African Studies Program or is not related to the program might also be interested in seeing what’s happening out there.”

The students and staff members working on the publication have also made conscious efforts to stay up-to-date with current events and address the key issues happening in the continent. For instance, Taylor discussed the Ebola outbreak and the significant challenge it presents to Africa in the Director’s Message for the last Asubuhi issue.

Esiwahomi Ozemebhoya (COL ’15), a co-editor of Asubuhi who has been involved in the newsletter for four years, believes that Asubuhi will continue to play an important role in promoting interests and awareness in African affairs among members of the Georgetown community, particularly in view of the rise of the African economy, which demonstrates its huge growth potential.

“There has been a time of history when Africa has been mostly ignored. However, now with the emerging markets in several countries of Africa, people start to notice that Africa is growing at a rapid rate, and they want to be a part of this,” Ozemebhoya said.

Overall, Taylor believes that 25 years is an important milestone as Asubuhi seeks to reinvent itself and adapt to new changes.