Around the World in Seven Days

A friend once said to me, “In this campus, I bet I can bump into a random student crowd and can still find at least one person speaking either Arabic or Chinese.”

International students representing 120 different countries make up 12 percent of Georgetown’s student body.

From Catalan coffee hours, to Bollywood-flavored Rangila, there’s no doubt the university promotes and appreciates internationalism. These traditions and the popularity of study abroad programs that send students to the most exotic parts of the globe are only some examples of the internationalism love hovering around the Hilltop.

Starting April 1, the Office of International Programs will be launching iWEEK to address students interested in global culture, politics and i-fun. Centering around the theme “One world. One week. One Georgetown,” the week will encourage unity of Hoyas from all over the globe.

iWEEK commences with the Diplomacy and International Security Conference. John Negroponte, former ambassador to the UN and director of national intelligence will be discussing international affairs ranging from America’s role in a multipolar world to the future of development in Africa.

“GDISC is a chance for people to gain insights into a very specific subject while learning how that specific component is part of a broader [global] issue area,” said Max Stoiber (SFS ’11), a member of the International Relations Club and organizer of the conference.

On Monday April 4, the International Economics Seminar and the Distinguished Leaders Series will address participants with interests in foreign trade, international economics and business. Antonio Vázquez, a distinguished foreign trade expert, will share his insight with prospective CEOs of the university.

“It’s a chance not just to learn about other cultures but to socialize with those in them as well,” said Mari Williams, program and outreach manager of OIP, highlighting the events put together by independent-international student organizations around the campus.

The week also offers some i-fun. On April 2, the group Israel at 63! will celebrate Israeli Independence Day.

Ten teams with names ranging from “Best of British” to “Waka Waka,” will be competing in iCUP Futbol Tournament. Organized by the International Student Association, the tourney will feature players representing different countries, cultures and regions. Come see their “futbol” skills on Kehoe Field on April 2.

If all that action makes you hungry, find some culinary culture at Eurofest.  For only $2, Euro-lovers can feast on Italian spaghetti while dancing to “Sympathique” on Copley lawn April 2. The European Club will take students to different parts of the world to get a taste of local cuisines, music and culture.

Then dance off all the baklava at LASA Dance Fest. Sponsored by The Latin American Student Association, this party is for Latin music lovers as well as those who want to learn merengue and salsa.

An anticipated tradition, iPARTY, taking place on April 9, on Copley Lawn, will be the final event of iWEEK, organized by Rhea Chedid (COL ’13) and Riana Meral Terney (SFS ’13). “It’s the most fun way to experience different cultures at Georgetown,” Chedid said. “People are going to get to try exotic new food, dance to foreign music and watch amazing performances.”

iWEEK takes place from April 1 to 9. Some events are free, others range from $2 to 10 dollars.