Annual Flu Shots Available at Yates

The Student Health Center, in conjunction with the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits, is continuing to offer flu vaccine shots at no charge to all students, faculty and staff through several flu vaccine clinics taking place in Yates Field House in October and November.

This year’s vaccine is a single shot designed to protect against both the seasonal flu and the H1N1 virus that was the source of attention last year.

About 3,500 to 4,000 vaccines have typically been administered annually since the university began offering this service back in 2001, and over 4,000 have been ordered for this season, according to James Welsh, assistant vice president for Student Health Services.

That figure has greatly decreased from last year when about 8,000 doses were administered to the Georgetown community. Welsh states that number was due mainly to the H1N1 pandemic and the fact that the seasonal and H1N1 vaccinations required separate injections.

any people have already taken advantage of the clinics. “I went because it was free and close,” said Christine Pfeil (COL ’10), a university employee and assistant director of the Georgetown Scholarship Program. “The whole thing took four minutes.”

Several dozen people were lined up at one of the clinics in Yates on Thursday, Oct. 7. Kerry Ryan (COL ’13) and Rebecca Packwood (NHS ’13), both paramedics with Georgetown Emergency Response Medical Services, said they decided to get the vaccine because of their jobs.

Other students, like Katherine Tarzian-Britt (COL ’14), said that they were motivated by the risks of a cramped dorm lifestyle.

“If one person gets sick, everyone can get sick,” Tarzian-Britt said.

This service is funded for students through general university budgets and for faculty and staff through the Faculty and Staff Benefits Office. The university declined to report the costs associated with providing this free service.