An Overlooked Disorder: Exploring Panic Attacks

When people meet me for the first time, they tend to assume that I’m a confident person — as they should, because I would describe myself that way as well.

I feel at home in public forums, laughing with friends and interacting with people. Trying to build relationships is what brought me to Georgetown and what gets me up in the morning. I just love people.

But what people don’t notice about me is probably more important. For the past three years I have suffered from a panic/anxiety disorder that challenges my identity as a confident and self-assured person.

Unfortunately, people in the United States seem to perceive a panic attack as a fancy way of describing a migraine, or perhaps as a tactic to gain attention. The lack of understanding of panic disorders is simply stunning.

More than three million Americans will experience a panic attack once in their lives, but many around campus shrug and figure it is medical jargon for having a bad day. In light of these gross misperceptions, it is important to educate people and have an honest conversation about a serious problem.

A panic attack, simply put, is caused by the release of an enormous amount of adrenaline, evoking the ‘fight or flight’ response. In other words, your mind believes it has identified a fatal threat and releases adrenaline to give you the strength to combat the threat or escape it. The adrenaline is flowing, and you are highly focused — you’re ready to respond to perceived . But if no vital threat really exists, your mind becomes increasingly confused and releases more adrenaline. This vicious circle may go on for 10 minutes, but it may go on for hours.

Unfortunately, the science behind the disorder does nothing to convey the actual sensation of a panic attack. During an attack, you are afraid and can’t understand why. You are filled with a feeling of intense apprehension, of absolute certainty that something catastrophic is about to take place that and nothing can be done to stop it. What’s worse is that everyone else seems perfectly fine, while you are convinced that you will die.

My panic attacks reduce me to a quivering wreck. For hours on end I can’t function properly, consumed by irrational fear and complete despair. I suffer from mild agoraphobia and social anxiety disorder. In other words, sometimes open crowds, uncontrolled social situations and deeply personal one-to-one interactions are fine, but sometimes they terrify me into becoming a helpless child for hours. This is my experience as someone with a relatively controlled panic disorder.

To give you some idea, a panic attack — especially your first — will often mirror the symptoms of a heart attack. The pain is simply excruciating.

The real point I am trying to make is that millions of people worldwide suffer from this debilitating condition, and in many cases you would never know who they are. The people who know of my panic disorder usually express disbelief that I could be so fragile, considering my enthusiastic and extroverted behavior. I wrestle daily with whether or not I can say what I want to people with whom I hope for a deep and meaningful relationship. I try and imagine what it will be like to enter politics — as is my dream — with a disorder that defines my life so much.

The United States in general and Georgetown University in particular are diverse and tolerant communities where a real sense of compassion and camaraderie exists. Our society needs to do what it can to better understand those with panic disorders and not just seek to medicate them until they stop complaining.

Those of us with panic and anxiety disorders want to contribute so much. So let me ask you, the Georgetown community, on our behalf: Please. Help us. Understand our pain.

Philip Gardner is an exchange student from King’s College London and a junior in the College. He is also a board member of the International Student Association.