Album Review: ‘Sadnecessary’

FLUXFM.COM
FLUXFM.COM

★★★★☆

The chances are that if you have heard of Milky Chance, it has been because of “Stolen Dance.” The song now has almost 80 million views on YouTube and is a party staple. It also acted as the means by which Milky Chance broke into the American alternative market this year.

“Sadnecessary” is the debut album of the alternative-electronica duo from Kassel, Germany, and “Stolen Dance” is the biggest hit from it, having peaked at number one in 15 countries worldwide. Although “Stolen Dance” is definitely the standout song from the album, it would be unfair to say that Milky Chance is a one-hit European wonder. In fact, it have the potential to be the next big pop duo, in the model of Daft Punk.

It definitely has the electro, synth-pop beat and catchiness that the French robotic pair mastered. Even songs such as “Loveland” are impossible to get out of your head after just one play. What makes Milky Chance different is its ability to bridge over multiple musical genres, to make a sound that is definitively its own. The duo cites Bob Marley and the Red Hot Chili Peppers as its musical influences and claim that their goal is to combine the singer-songwriter style with an electronic sound. This is apparent on the second single from their album, “Down by the River,” which has all the raspy vocals of Marcus Mumford but the fast tempo of a club classic. This is also easy to see on the track “Stunner” which combines sluggish, slowly sung vocals with a reggae guitar riff in the background.

In the world of repetitive club beats and dance music, songs like “Stolen Dance” are also refreshing in being catchy without being reliant on a bass drop, in the same way that “Get Lucky” was. Milky Chance tackles the pop world in a more subtle way, without following the musical trends of the time in a copycat manner.

The album does have its flaws. It is at times repetitive, with songs like “Fairytale” echoing the same lyrics and failing to go anywhere. Songs like “Sweet Sun,” which are more alternative-rock than the folk-pop combo of “Down by the River,” don’t really give the listener anything new.

Despite its attempt at combining multiple musical genres, the album also manages to be bland at times. There are songs that seem to run into each other and are somewhat interchangeable. The title track “Sadnecessary” uses the same soaring vocal harmony as “Becoming,” and neither of the two songs stands out on the album.

Having said this, the album manages to tackle the mixture of musical influences, which may have been its Achilles’ heel, with great success. Instead of being lost in the different musical genres, Milky Chance still maintains a strong identity, in part because of to the distinctive voice of the lead singer, Clemens Rehbein.

Songs like “Running” juxtapose the upbeat sentiment of “Stolen Dance” by adopting a darker, moodier sound, with a menacing undertone. Here, the lyrics are stronger, and Rehbein sings “And what about you, you drunken soul, is that your own will to go?” showing that Milky Chance doesn’t rely just on catchy melodies alone.

Another strength that Milky Chance has is, despite its success in the alternative market, the fact that all of its songs have the elusive quality of being danceable, and of course, catchy. Milky Chance must also be applauded for its total lack of reliance on gimmicks, and despite its somewhat obscure roots and subversion of a typically “pop” image, it manages to not be pretentious.

How successful Milky Chance will be in the future remains to be seen. The Billboard charts at the moment are dominated by marketable, young female pop stars — Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande and Jessie J to name a few. Duos rarely do well in the U.S. pop charts, with the exception of course of Daft Punk. What’s more, is that Milky Chance is composed of two scruffy, bearded men who rarely give interviews — a far cry from the men dominating the pop charts today, not to mention the members of popular boy bands.

Nevertheless, it has built a solid fan base in Europe, where its album has been out for almost a year and a half, but whether it can translate this into American chart success is unknowable for now. What is on Milky Chance’s side is its confidence in blending musical influences: it seems to be the first act to so boldly use electro-dance beats with the sound of an acoustic guitar, and to have it work so well.