Admin Diversity Lags

856886469
MICHAEL DEPIETRANTONIO/THE HOYA

Nearly four years after University President John J. DeGioia launched an Initiative on Diversity and Inclusiveness, the university’s senior administration — composed of deans and executive leaders, including the provost and vice presidents — remains dominated by white males.

Of the 13 individuals listed under executive leadership on the university website, three are women and one is black — making the executive leadership 77 percent male and 92 percent white.

Of the 12 deans, two are black and one is Asian. Walsh School of Foreign Service Dean Carol Lancaster is the only female dean.

In total, of the 25 top administrators at Georgetown, four are women, three are black and one is Asian.

The representation of women in the senior administration is much lower than in the student body, of which 55 percent is female as of spring 2011.

The racial breakdown of the senior administration, however, is roughly equal to that of the student body, with the notable exception of the lack of Hispanics in the senior administration, which make up seven percent of the student body. As of spring 2011, 61 percent of Georgetown students were white, 7 percent Hispanic, 6 percent black and 9 percent Asian.

The senior administration of The George Washington University shows greater gender diversity. Three of their nine vice presidents and three out of the 10 deans are women.

However, GWU lags behind in racial diversity. Currently, the university has two black vice presidents but no deans of any racial minority.

Jamie Martines (SFS ’13), director of outreach for Georgetown University Women in Politics, noted that while an increasing number of women across the nation are receiving college degrees and promotions to middle-management positions, few successfully reach the highest echelons of their respective organizations.

Martines believes that the Georgetown should make it a priority to increase female representation.

“I hope that in the future, Georgetown will look at the resources available to women who are looking to advance their careers and make sure that the university is doing everything it can to make the playing field as even as possible for everyone,” she said.

Despite the disconnect between the representation of women in the student body and in the senior administration, Rosemary Kilkenny, vice president for institutional diversity and equity, points to recent additions of women to the administration, such as the hiring of Lisa Davis as the vice president of University Information Services, as a bright spot for diversity progress. Davis is the first woman to hold that position.

“Her appointment bodes well for women generally as their representation grows in science and technology fields,” Kilkenny said.

With the student population of the Georgetown University School of Medicine now 51 percent female, Kilkenny believes that Davis’ appointment indicates the university’s acknowledgement that more women will be pursuing careers in science and technology.

Kilkenny also said she found recent trends to be promising for racial diversity, noting the hiring of two black deans, David Thomas of the McDonough School of Business and Edward Montgomery of the Georgetown Public Policy Institute, and Martin Iguchi, an Asian, as the dean of the School of Nursing and Health Studies.

Within executive leadership, however, Kilkenny remains the only black administrator.

Kilkenny identified two of Georgetown’s core values — community in diversity and social justice — as driving factors in the university’s pursuit of institutional diversity.

“These values are reflected in efforts undertaken by the university not only to recruit women and minority persons to all sectors of our community but also to retain individuals from these groups and provide an environment in which they can thrive, succeed and grow,” she said. “We recognize that we are not a perfect institution, but we remain aspirational in our goals and do the best that we can to embody [these] deep-held and deep-felt values. The university will continue to pursue this course in a collaborative, energetic and aggressive manner.”

Aya Waller-Bey (COL ’14), co-chair for the Student of Color Alliance, remains unconvinced of the school’s dedication to this initiative.

“The lack of diversity within the senior administration is frightening but not shocking,” Waller-Bey said. “I think Georgetown needs to reevaluate its commitment to diversity in all areas and aggressively pursue the recruitment of more diverse administrators to assist with making decisions on this campus.”

Martines agreed, saying that the university’s decision-making bodies should represent student interests.

“Students need to feel like their interests are being represented at the highest levels of university administration,” she said. “If the diversity of the student population is not reflected at the highest levels of decision making, then something needs to change.”

Jacqueline Mac, program coordinator at the Center for Multicultural Equity and Access, echoed the sentiment for diversity among leadership.

“It is important to me to see senior administrators who look like me, to serve as role models,” Mac said. “In my work with CMEA, I think about whose voices have traditionally been silenced and unheard, and I think about how to ensure that they are included. I encourage my students to do the same because being inclusive means having a place and a voice at the table.”