Access Beyond GUSA

Unrecognized student groups now have provisional access to benefits, including on-campus storage space and the opportunity to reserve classrooms, through a GUSA-led apparatus seeking to expand the range of access to benefits policy.

Groups like fraternities, sororities and, of course, H*yas for Choice, which have traditionally been barred from formal university recognition, can now enjoy some of the benefits that all other student groups freely utilize. Amid the good news of this development, questions arise as to the long-term feasibility of this genre of reform.

Particularly, there is no guarantee that future Georgetown University Student Association executives will not forget this priority and reallocate those spaces and resources to causes that may be deemed more important in the future. The need for a solid, unremitting awareness of the difficulties unrecognized student groups face must continue to rest at the forefront of GUSA executive leaders’ agendas, especially when advocating for those groups with university administrators.

Nonetheless, for the present, this policy stands as a testament to GUSA’s mission to not only voice the concerns of students but also efficaciously address them. In order for this policy to become coagulated as a tenet of Georgetown’s treatment of all student groups, steps need to be taken to ensure this advancement becomes more institutionally permanent — and that the university is still pressured to continually re-evaluate its view of unrecognized groups.

In making greater strides toward bringing unrecognized student groups into the recognized university community, Georgetown has the opportunity to demonstrate the stock of its character, and its truest nature as an institution of higher education.