Image Contributor
Freshman midfielder Kelly D’Ambrisi

The Hoyas picked up right where they left off last season, racking up three straight wins to start the year.

Georgetown added another game to the “win” column, as they came out on top against the women from Ohio University this Sunday at North Kehoe Field. The Hoyas’ 2-1 victory over the Bobcats (1-1) brings their record to 3-0, a strong showing for the young team.

“Considering that we’re still a new-ish kind of team putting in new pieces of the puzzle, I think it’s gone quite well,” Head Coach Dave Nolan said.

Despite playing against a unique offensive formation, the Georgetown defense put on a strong showing in the first half, keeping the Bobcats’ offensive attacks to a minimum. Freshman Gabby Miller, sophomore Michaela Buonomo and senior defender Laura Snyder dominated the defensive end of the field, preventing any of the Bobcats from penetrating the penalty box for almost the entire first half.

On the opposite end of the field, graduate student and forward Sara Jordan and junior forward Toni Hudson kept up a steady attack on the Ohio defense during the first half. Fifteen minutes into the game, Jordan worked the ball up the left side of Bobcat territory before passing off to Hudson who kicked it past the OSU goalie for a would-be Georgetown goal but was instead called out-of-bounds before the shot.

ost of the rest of the Hoyas’ attempts at the Bobcat goal during the first half sailed over or wide of the goal until the 25th minute, when freshman midfielder Kelly D’Ambrisi grabbed a rebound from the Bobcat goalie and passed it off to Jordan for the Hoyas’ first goal.

Georgetown continued the offensive attack during the second half, garnering six corner kicks during the final half. The Hoyas failed to capitalize on these offensive opportunities until 30 minutes into the second half, when sophomore midfielder Caitlin Durkee executed a perfect corner kick to senior Stephanie Zare, who headed the ball in for the Hoyas’ second goal.

The Bobcats were able to counter less than a minute later, when Ohio’s Amy Lower finally snuck a shot by Georgetown’s goalie, sophomore Jackie DesJardin. DesJardin and the rest of the Hoya defense kept the Bobcats out of their territory for the final 15 minutes of regulation, but the Hoyas suffered an unexpected blow when Jordan was knocked to the ground and had to be helped off the field. Her condition is uncertain for now, and attempts to reach Georgetown Sports Information yesterday for more on Jordan’s injury status were unsuccessful.

“In regards to wins and losses, you couldn’t get any better,” Nolan said following the game. “We have stepped up to the challenge of every team we have played. We played well enough; we should have won every game more comfortably. I think we’re where we have to be, but we have to be learning from mistakes that are made, and that’s crucial.”

The Hoyas head to George Mason next week for a final tournament, with games against Mississippi State and Hartford.

*****

Georgetown 7, UMBC 0

University of Maryland Baltimore County played most of the 90 minutes of its game against the Hoyas last Friday in its own half, as the hosts walked all over the Retrievers’ defense in the pouring rain.

Nolan described the win as “pleasing” but focused on the points where the Hoyas had potential to make improvements through the game.

“We had a couple of people who let the tempo of the game drop,” Nolan said. “That was probably the only disappointment in the game.”

Durkee was the unsung hero of the match, grabbing two assists – a pass up front to Hudson, who lobbed it over the keeper in the fourth minute, and a cross in from the far left end of the field, headed in by Buonomo at 9:28. Durkee was the team’s workhorse throughout the game, running up and down the field, creating plays and throwing in strong challenges whenever it was required of her.

It was a chance for the young players to shine as well – fleet footwork by freshman midfielder Samantha Baker earned her a goal in each half, while fellow classmate forward Camille Trujillo also bagged a goal and an assist, wowing the crowds at Kehoe as she sped past defender after defender with the ball still obediently at her feet. Also putting in an impressive display in midfield was D’Ambrisi, whose creative footwork and passing led to some great plays up front, while she also managed to get up in the box and record three shots at goal.

Jordan praised her younger teammates, saying, “They’re definitely making a very big impact, which is good because that’s what we expect of them.”

Jordan herself led by example the whole game, playing a solid game in midfield throughout, and volleying in a delivery off a set-piece into the back of the net to grab a goal at 23:06. Snyder also played a stellar match at the flank, marking the Retrievers relentlessly and rarely letting the ball slide into Hoya territory.

– Hijab Shah