Nine wins, 47 losses, 2-24 in the Big East. The numbers are ugly, but they do not fully explain the trials the Georgetown Baseball team faced this year.

“It was a tough season. Anyone who wasn’t hurt by what we went through didn’t have their eyes open,” Head Coach Pete Wilk said.

The members of the squad had to watch the Hoyas lose two of the most disappointing games in the team’s history. On April 6 Georgetown lost 1-0 to Rutgers despite a no-hitter by sophomore pitcher Kevin Field. On the opposite end of the spectrum the team allowed 37 hits in a 35-4 loss to Virginia Tech on April 21.

Individual defeats aside, the overall weight of a season that was marked by losing streaks of seven, nine and a team-record 15 games is considerable. Losing game after game gave a young squad quite more than a few growing pains.

“We went out this season and took our lumps with a team of mostly freshman and sophomores,” Wilk said.

Despite the long season, some younger players showed quite a bit of promise. Two of Georgetown’s freshmen, third basemen Bill Quinn and shortstop Matt Johnson played large roles on this year’s team. Quinn led the team in hitting with a .340 average and Johnson showed excellent athleticism in cutting off balls before they reached the outfield grass.

The Hoyas look for the same type of athletic defensive play from next year’s freshman class. Along with four pitchers Georgetown brings three infielders and a centerfielder to bolster the team’s defense up the middle.

“Our main issue this season was depth. We got hit with injuries and didn’t have the reserves to bounce back,” Wilk said.

Georgetown lost perhaps its three strongest players in the field this season. Johnson, sophomore catcher Mike Lombardi and junior first basemen Matt Carullo all went down with various injuries. The Hoyas’ attempts to fill these defensive holes gave younger players vital game experience, but put Georgetown on the losing end of 11 out of 12 one-run games.

Next year’s freshman class will bring new talent to the team, but it is not talent that wins one-run games. The Hoyas need poise and toughness to turn those losses into wins. This competitiveness will have to come from the rising juniors and seniors.

Rising senior outfielder Rob O’Hare and classmate Carullo have shown the potential lead for next year’s team in close contests.

This ability to take over a game is a benefit for any team, but what the team needs from these players extends beyond the field.

“I wish we took the field today,” Wilk said, “I can’t wait to get started.”