Young Australian DJ Rocks EDM Scene

The Electronic Dance Music scene in America has rapidly grown in popularity over the last ten years or so. New songs are appearing everyday and it seems that if you flip a coin in the air, the chances of it landing on a DJ here in America are pretty high. However, amidst all the mayhem of the EDM scene over the last several years, one artist is quickly gaining stock in the hearts of the American audience. His name is Just A Gent. The origins of EDM and techno-style DJs and producers can be traced back to the UK and Germany, especially beginning around the late 1970s. Electronic dance music was seen as an underground movement that seemed to be stuck in obscurity and not gaining any ground in mainstream music. Night after night, clubs in the UK, Germany and many other Western European countries were packed to the brim with crowds who would come to hear these high-tempo, low-bass, reverberating songs that would drive the underground music scene for years.

In the mid 1990s to the early 2000s this up-tempo style of music began to finally make its way across the pond to the United States, where it became commercialized and marketed into the mainstream flow of American music. Bands such as The Black Eyed Peas began to incorporate this style of music into their songs, which in turn would be projected to the American public. A whole new genre of music, fashion and entertainment became popular, thanks to DJs like David Guetta, Swedish House Mafia and Avici. These new DJs, with the help of others, helped revive music festivals here in the states with extreme visual effects that combined lights and video with a sense of futuristic qualities. These DJs are still leading the commercial EDM scene here in America. However, there is a new generation of producers who are beginning to take over and Just A Gent qualifies as one of them.

An Australian-born DJ and producer, Jacob Grant is only 17 years old and is already making waves across the world, as he has just wrapped up his North American tour. However, a tour of North America wouldn’t be complete without a stop here in our nation’s capital, and that is exactly what Just A Gent did on Oct. 25. His music creates a sense of positivity and levity that embraces the crowd with a high-tempo, trap-style music that has been popular as of late here in America.

The young producer from Newcastle, Australia, has just recently hit 40,000 likes on Facebook and 50,000 followers on Soundcloud, which in today’s realm of digital media and social networking is extremely impressive. His style of music is blissful yet exhilarating and his fan base loves it; streams upon streams of positive remarks flow through his Facebook page, from fans all over the world.

Grant also has a specific clothing style that matches his persona of the gentleman. He dons a three-piece suit and top hat at every event he plays, reiterating that not only can he please his fans with his music but with his personality as well. He thrives on being a charming gentleman, and in a world that revolves around image through the media, having those qualities will help him go a long way.

It is extremely obvious that his fan base is strong, as they know all of his songs. Being the young producer that he is, he has already conquered that daunting task of developing a strong following. Although, sadly, his North American tour has come to an end, we can only hope for Just A Gent’s return to our country as we count the days. In the meantime, hop onto Facebook and Soundcloud and give him a follow, it only takes a few seconds and it is worth much than that.

Concert Grade: A-/B+

Songs: “Everybody Wants to Rule The World (Just A Gent Remix),” “Best Day of My Life (Just A Gent Remix),” “Back & Forth (Just A Gent Remix)”

Bryson Greene is a senior in the College. This is the final appearance of The Beat this semester.