By Jennifer Grana, James Harris, Rebeca Rios, Jodie DeSantis and Jenny Schwarb

As the “most militant Feminists” on campus, (according to The Guide: A Little Beige Book for Today’s Miss G, page 7), the board of the Alliance for Women’s Empowerment felt that a few elucidative remarks on the nature and activities of our organization would be in order. We would like to publicly disavow that we host any type of bra-burnings, both public and private. ore importantly, we would like to make the point that all women are welcome at our meetings, no matter what their point of view on politics.

Feminists, women and men who feel “that women should have political, economic and social rights equal to those of men” (Webster’s New World College Dictionary, Second College Edition, page 514) are encouraged to attend our meetings and to participate in AWE sponsored activities such as Take Back the Night, the upcoming Women’s Networking Day or merely take part in the lectures or activities we sponsor. All Georgetown students are always welcome to express their opinions at our meetings, and under no circumstance will they be asked to leave a gathering.

There are a few other explanatory remarks we would like to make regarding our views of feminism in general and the views propagated by our organization. First, AWE does not encourage or cultivate the so-called “hook-up” or “free love” culture. As a matter of fact, we feel that college-aged women are responsible enough to make their own decisions regarding their sexual activities, whether they may include traditional dating or “hooking up.” No matter what our own personal convictions on the subject, we do not feel it is our right to dictate women’s personal lives and customarily regard “dating” and “hooking up” as a non-issue in organizational life.

Secondly, AWE believes that feminism, in the public mind, is a much maligned and misunderstood concept that generally arouses negative connotations. As stated above, the definition of feminism does not include hatred of men, propagation of free love, the encouragement of drug culture or even the advocacy of the pro-choice movement. The board of AWE is a diverse group of women and men, and by no means do we unilaterally hold the stereotypical feminist viewpoints – nor are we “hippie, dippy bra-burners” (The Guide, page 13), if we understand the term correctly.

Finally, we would like to comment on certain remarks regarding rape and sexual assault on campus. Despite the fact that 57 percent of rapes take place when the woman is under the influence of drugs or alcohol (if that is indeed true, as The Guide claims), it is important to keep in mind that behind every rape there is a rapist. In our opinion, it is not wise to be so drunk or high that you are out of control, but there should also not be men who are willing to take advantage of the situation and utilize their position of physical power to assert their sexual will over a woman in any situation. The problem and the fault lies with the men who perpetrate these crimes, not with the women who may or may not have made the mistake of abusing drugs and/or alcohol.

We sincerely hope this has cleared up any questions or confusion as to our views on the issues about the role of AWE at Georgetown. If these views make us “militant,” then so be it.

Jennifer Grana is a senior in the School of Foreign Service, James Harris is a senior in the College, Rebeca Rios is a senior in the College, Jodie DeSantis is a sophomore in the College and Jenny Schwarb is a senior in the School of Foreign Service.