Yates Imposes Fees for Classes

Georgetown students will have one more expense to consider this school year: Yates Field House will for the first time be charging a fee for its group fitness classes.

embers, who are all required to pay the semester membership fee of $155.50, will also be charged $5 more for each class they take.

According to the Yates Web site, the group fitness program will be fee-based starting this semester in order to provide “updated” programs for group fitness participants, but the site does not go into further detail. This semester, Yates has also hired more professional, non-student instructors for its group fitness classes, which include aerobics, strength training and spinning classes.

This week, classes are free for all participants to sample. Once the trial period ends, however, students and non-students alike will be charged fees for any class they take.

ultiple classes can also be purchased in a package deal: 10 classes cost $30, 20 classes cost $50 and the unlimited package for the fall semester costs $65. For non-student members, 10 classes cost $40, 20 classes cost $60 and the unlimited package costs $75.

The first 100 people to purchase an unlimited package for group fitness classes will also receive a free T-shirt, the Some fitness classes will also be held at the Harris Building on Wisconsin Avenue for the same fees.

Several Yates administrators could not be reached for comment.

News of the fee-based fitness program has not been received well by students, who said that charging students to take fitness classes on top of the Yates membership fee runs contrary to the idea of promoting health and exercise.

“Charging people for classes at Yates doesn’t seem very conducive to encouraging exercise among the student body. Some people will avoid these classes now, simply because they don’t want to have to pay this fee,” Arielle DaCosta (COL ’11) said.