The Georgetown sailing team did not allow Hurricane Isabel to interfere with its weekend as it competed in four regattas. The sailing was not always smooth, but the Hoyas managed to perform well in all four competitions.

The Georgetown women’s sailing team kicked off its season with an impressive performance at the Captain Hurst Women’s Bowl at Dartmouth. The Hoyas finished fifth overall in the field of 18, receiving outstanding efforts from sophomore skipper Jackie Schmitz and senior crew Paulina Szyrmer. Schmitz and Szyrmer finished third among Division B boats with 87 points. Among the Division A boats, seniors Eliza Ryan and Gabi Maguire sailed their boat to seventh place with 124 points.

The Hoyas experienced mixed results at the Nevins Cup at Kings Point, N.Y., a 19-team tournament. The best performance of the day came from seniors Tyler Haskell and Emilie Lincoln, who sailed to second place in Division A with 53 points. Senior Thatcher Spring and juniors Steve Streit and Megan O’Neill sailed their boat to a 10th place finish in Division B with 96 points. Among the Division C boats, senior Bill Jorch sailed to a ninth-place finish with 70 points. With a total score of 219 points, Georgetown finished seventh overall.

Georgetown’s best results of the weekend came at the Ocean County College Fall Regatta in Toms River, N.J. The Hoyas finished a close second overall; St. Mary’s edged them out by four points. Sophomores Berry Kurland and Kelly Lanzara sailed to second place in Division A with 45 points. Among the Division B boats, sophomore Ed DuMoulin and senior Chris Harvey finished first with a score of 38 points.

The final regatta of the weekend was the Freshman Groundbreaker at New York Maritime. Freshmen J.B. Turney and Emilie Bogrand sailed to sixth place in Division A with 32 points. In Division B, freshmen Langdon Mitchell and Jessica Stewart finished second in their field with 15 points. Overall, the Hoyas placed fourth in the field of 12 teams.

This weekend the Hoyas will compete in three different regattas: the St. Mary’s Open at St. Mary’s, the Laser South Qualifications at Navy and the MAISA Regatta at Georgetown.