WOMEN’S SOCCER | St. John’s Opens Big East Schedule

The No. 17 Georgetown women’s soccer team has finished its non-conference schedule and opens its Big East play this Sunday at home against St. John’s University.

The Hoyas (6-2-1) return to the nation’s capital after a 2-0 victory against the Towson Tigers (3-5-2) in Maryland last Sunday. Junior forward Caitlin Farrell and sophomore defender Meaghan Nally scored the goals for the Hoyas. Nally’s goal came off a corner kick in the second half, a point of emphasis.

“This past week in practice, we spent a lot of time trying to find ways to shake it up and try and get some offensive thrust, and we got a good goal on that,” Georgetown Head Coach Dave Nolan said.

Despite having a 23-2 advantage in shots and an 11-0 advantage in corner kicks, Georgetown was unable to create quality scoring chances.

“It’s the first time this season we’ve looked particularly flat. I think it was a case of it being our last non-conference game,” Nolan said. “To some extent, I think it was a situation where we had too much time between games; we actually had a whole week off.”

Sunday’s matchup against St. John’s (4-4-1) offers a similar situation for the Hoyas, who will have a full slate of practices this week before taking the field.

The Red Storm battled the Hoyas to a double overtime 0-0 draw last season in New York, a game in which Georgetown had only three shots on goal. St. John’s finished the season 11-4-5 and fell to Marquette in the Big East tournament semifinals.

“Typically, when we play them up there, it’s always a challenge on the turf,” Nolan said. “We have them here on the grass, which I’m happy about. But it’s a very difficult game to play as your first game.”

On Sunday, the Hoyas will again be without sophomore forward Casey Richards and redshirt sophomore forward Amanda Carolan, as both are recovering from injuries.

The lack of depth up top has forced Nolan to adjust his scheme.

“We’re playing a system that suits the personnel we have, and I’m not sure we would probably play that system if we had Amanda and Casey available,” Nolan said. “Once those two become available, then it becomes a decision for me, whether I stay with what we’re doing or do we revert back to something different.”

Kickoff is slated for 1 p.m. at Shaw Field.