WOMEN’S SOCCER | GU Down Towson in Final Nonconference Game

The No. 15 Georgetown women’s soccer team closed out its regular season non-conference schedule last Sunday with a 2-0 victory over the Towson Tigers (3-5-2).

Coming off a scoreless overtime draw against No. 14 Rutgers (7-0-1), the Hoyas (6-2-1) wasted little time on the offensive front. After a shot from junior defender Jenna Staudt was cleared off the line by a Towson defender, the Hoyas found the net in the 20th minute when junior forward Caitlin Farrell scored her team-leading fifth goal of the season, putting one inside the far post and past the goalkeeper.

The Hoyas ended the first half with just a 1-0 lead, but they capitalized quickly when a corner kick from senior midfielder Rachel Corboz found the head of sophomore defender Meaghan Nally in the 52nd minute, putting the Blue and Gray up 2-0.

Despite finding the back of the net twice, the Hoyas struggled to generate offensive opportunities in the run of play.

We didn’t play as well as I would’ve expected. The weather was fine. The field was in great shape. We just didn’t really get anything going offensively,” Georgetown Head Coach Dave Nolan said.

For the Hoyas to seal the win, it took a decisive finish from Farrell off an assist from senior midfielder Taylor Pak and a set piece from Corboz. The latter reflected the team’s continued work to improve its offensive success on set pieces.

“It was a corner kick, which I was happy about because we haven’t been doing much off corner kicks this year,” Nolan said of the Hoyas’ second goal. “This past week in practice we spent a lot of time trying to find ways to shake it up and try and get some offensive thrust, and we got a good goal on that.”

“Their goalkeeper didn’t have too many saves to make. Now, they never looked like they were going to score, but I just didn’t feel we really got out of second gear. She wasn’t flying around the goal making saves. We weren’t on the edge of our seat saying, ‘Oh, how did that not go in?’”

Even after earning its sixth win and seventh shutout of the season, Georgetown still recognizes areas of improvement as it moves into Big East play.

“Well, it’s the first time this season we’ve looked particularly flat. I think it was a case of it being our last non-conference game. To some extent, I think it was a situation where we had too much time between games,” Nolan said.

“But, these are kids; they’re not professional athletes. It’s hard to hold them to an incredibly high standard every single day in practice and every single game, and not have one or two games where they’re just not at their best. We got the win; we got the shutout, which is the most important thing,” Nolan said.

The Hoyas are set to open Big East conference play on Sunday at Shaw Field where they will face the St. John’s Red Storm (4-4-1) at 1 p.m.