Women’s Soccer | Downey Scores 3, Hoyas Dominate Pirates 4-0

The Georgetown women’s soccer team (10-5-1, 5-1-1 Big East) improved its record Thursday afternoon with a blowout victory over Seton Hall (2-12-2, 1-6-0 Big East) as it approaches an all-important matchup with Big East co-leader DePaul on Sunday. Georgetown is now tied with DePaul for the best record in the Big East, as it vies for a bye in the Big East tournament after securing its spot in the tournament today. The Hoyas, backed by a shutout by graduate student goalkeeper Emma Newins, defeated the Pirates 4-0 with a dominating performance in all aspects of the game.

Georgetown took some time to settle in the game, as there was little threatening action from either side of the field at the beginning. Georgetown sophomore midfielder Chloe Knott recorded the first shot of the game in the 14th minute.

However, it did not take Georgetown’s offense long to find its offensive momentum following that shot. In the 18th minute, graduate student forward Melissa Downey, a transfer from Princeton, headed the ball past Seton Hall’s freshman goalkeeper Anna MacLean following a free kick from sophomore midfielder Rachel Corboz.

“I think in the last couple of games we’ve been really fortunate to have such consistent delivery from Rachel,” Downey said. “She puts it in such a dangerous spot.”

Downey’s goal was only the start of her best game at Georgetown, which would continue in the second half. The Hoyas kept up their offensive momentum in the first half, totalling seven shots and winning many set pieces for Corboz to put the ball into dangerous situations. The half concluded with Georgetown leading 1-0, and the damage would only worsen for Seton Hall in the second half.

In the 60th minute of the second half, Downey struck again by tallying a goal on a similar play to the first one. Sophomore defender Taylor Pak passed the ball to Downey after securing a rebound off a free kick and Downey finished the play to double Georgetown’s lead. Seven minutes later, she would complete her hat trick with a third goal on yet another loose ball that she blasted into the net after a corner kick.

“It’s been difficult for Melissa coming off of the two years of being injured. Our season is so accelerated that it’s taken her a while to start feeling comfortable with her own body again,” Head Coach Dave Nolan said. “In the last 10 days she’s been starting to look lively. She was a real fox in the box today.”

Junior forward Grace Damaska added salt to Seton Hall’s wound just two minutes later with a goal of her own in the 69th minute, assisted by free kick specialist Corboz.

“I just think she’s starting to get a little bit more comfortable in the position,” Nolan said of Corboz. “Last year, she was playing out wide. This year, it’s just been tough for her to adjust to a new position. She’s starting to figure out that the pace of play is a little bit quicker, and where to pressure in the middle as opposed to the outside.”

The Hoyas saw out the rest of the game with ease. Georgetown goalkeeper Emma Newins only had to make one save in the entire game, and the Hoyas finished the game with a 4-0 victory.

The Hoyas will travel to Chicago this weekend to play against the DePaul Blue Demons on Sunday at 2 p.m.

“I mean, it’s going to be a very difficult game. Ultimately, the big thing is that we have destiny in our hands. If we can beat DePaul and then beat Creighton, we will be [Big East] regular-season champions,” Nolan said. “No Georgetown team has ever won the divisional title outright.”

DePaul and Georgetown, along with St. John’s (13-2-1, 5-1-1 Big East), are currently tied for first in the Big East standings.