All-Americans Stanwick, Elbe Propel Hoyas to 4-0 ark

By Sean Gormley Hoya Staff Writer

High expectations accompanied the beginning of this season for Georgetown women’s lacrosse, and those expectations have been fulfilled and then some in the Hoyas’ first four wins. Three victories over top-20 teams and a dominating shutout have propelled sixth-ranked Georgetown to a 4-0 record as the meat of their regular season approaches.

On Sunday, March 5, while most of the campus was in Florida whooping it up on spring break, the Hoyas opened up their season against No. 16 Vanderbilt. The Commodores scored 30 seconds into the contest, but the Hoyas responded with four unanswered goals in cruising to a 15-7 victory.

Junior All-American attack Sheehan Stanwick led the way with four goals and two assists, while senior middie Kristen Baer added three goals and junior middie Sarah Oglesby notched two scores. Freshmen Liz Ryan and Wick Stanwick got their college careers off to a strong start with a goal apiece against the overmatched Vanderbilt defense.

The halftime score had Georgetown with only a three goal lead, 6-3, but the Hoyas scored five of the first six goals after the break to stretch the gap to 11-4 midway through the second, a deficit the Commodores would be unable to overcome.

Georgetown’s offensive machine was the difference in the season opener, as the Hoyas outshot the Commodores 36-20 on their way to racking up 15 tallies.

The women continued their spring break play, travelling to Syracuse March 8 to take on the now-No. 15 Orangewomen. Syracuse put up a valiant fight, fighting back from three goal halftime deficit, but the Hoyas outlasted the Orangewomen for a 16-12 victory.

Sheehan Stanwick led Georgetown in scoring for the second consecutive game, scoring five goals against Syracuse’s beleaguered goaltenders. It was junior goalie Bowen Holden who proved to be the difference in the close contest, however, as each team got off 28 shots. Holden came up with 16 saves, allowing Georgetown to pull away late in the second half.

The Hoyas and Orangewomen exchanged goals early in the contest and were knotted at four with 10 minutes left in the first half when Georgetown went on a 3-0 run to end the half. Goals by Sheehan Stanwick, Oglesby and senior attack Jordan Keating put the Hoyas up 7-4 at the break.

The second half provided more back and forth action, and with just under 19 minutes left in the game, a score by Lauren Brady gave Syracuse a 10-9 lead. This would be the only time the Orangewomen would have the upper hand all day, as Georgetown put three into the back of the net in the span of a minute to take a 12-10 lead. That was all she wrote for Syracuse, though, as Georgetown clinched the victory with two goals in the final minute, avoiding the upset and escaping New York with a victory.

Next up for Georgetown was a date with then-No. 17 William & ary this past Sunday up on Kehoe Field as the rest of campus was returning from a week off.

After watching fellow All-American Sheehan Stanwick rack up nine goals in the Hoyas’ first two games, sophomore attack Erin Elbe decided to get into the act, scoring four times to lead the Hoyas to a 12-3 victory over the Tribe.

Georgetown was firing on all cylinders Sunday, as the Hoyas outplayed the Tribe in every facet of the game en route to victory. William & Mary was outshot 38-20 on the day and was unable to recover from an early deficit thanks to the second consecutive outstanding performance by Holden.

The Hoyas were only sporting a 2-1 lead with 11 minutes remaining in the first period, but scored eight unanswered goals to turn a nail-biter into a blowout. Oglesby and Sheehan Stanwick helped out the scoring with two goals apiece, while freshmen Ryan and Wick Stanwick each added one to propel Georgetown to their third consecutive victory over a top-20 team.

Next up for the streaking Hoyas were the Villanova Wildcats, but the overmatched ‘Cats didn’t stand a chance. Georgetown returned home from Pennsylvania with a dominating 17-0 victory, while the Villanova players dragged themselves back to the dorms, victims of a massacre.

There was never any question in this game, as the Hoyas jumped to an 11-0 halftime lead and cruised the rest of the way. Elbe led the way with five tallies, while the Stanwick sisters combined for five goals: Sheehan scoring three and Wick notching a pair. Holden had her third consecutive strong game, playing flawlessly against the Wildcats, notching her first ever shutout as a Hoya.

Through four games, Sheehan Stanwick leads the team with 14 goals, Elbe is second with 11, Oglesby and Baer have seven tallies apiece and Wick Stanwick has found the back of the net five times. Goalie Holden sports a solid 5.5 goals against average.

Although Georgetown sports a pristine 4-0 record, rough waters are ahead for the Hoyas, as their next two games are against top-10 teams. Next up for Georgetown is ninth-ranked Princeton, tomorrow at 1 p.m. at Princeton. It doesn’t get any easier after that, as the Hoyas travel down into ACC territory next weekend to take on the No. 2-ranked Duke Blue Devils.

Related Links

Women’s Lacrosse Page-Women’s Lacrosse Schedule