Women’s Lacrosse | Offensive Outburst Powers Hoyas Past Huskies

The Georgetown women’s lacrosse team remained undefeated in conference play, defeating Connecticut 14-6 last Saturday on the road behind a strong performance in net by senior goalie Maddy Fisher, finishing with 15 saves in the game.

Georgetown (4-6, 2-0 Big East) Head Coach Ricky Fried noted the importance of getting a win against Connecticut (3-6, 0-2 Big East), a conference rival, on the road.

“Obviously at this point every win is a big win, especially in conference against a conference rival. It’s very satisfying to go on the road and come away with a victory that we haven’t had in a couple years,” Fried said.

Coach Fried also praised Fisher’s performance against the Huskies, as her efforts earned her Big East Defensive Player of the Week.

“That’s one of the biggest reasons we went to a zone, because we trust her. She’s very fundamentally sound. She’s always in the right spot, and when we give up the shots that we want to give up, she’s generally there to make the save. That’s not a knock on the saves she made, but she is in the right place at the right time we have a tremendous amount of confidence in her,” Fried said.

Georgetown’s offense featured eight different Hoyas scoring goals. Sophomore attack Morgan Ryan and junior midfielder Hannah Seibel commanded the Hoyas’ offense with three goals each. Ryan also tallied a team-high of three assists in the victory. Senior attack Kate Snouffer and sophomore attack Taylor Gebhardt both notched two goals.

Senior attack Jacqueline Jordan had two goals for the Huskies while senior midfielder Molly O’Reilly, junior attack Grace Nolan, senior midfielder Ally Tilley and senior midfielder Emily Giumetti had one goal apiece.

Thus far, the Hoyas’ offense owes a lot to Gebhardt who currently leadsthe Hoyas with 21 goals this season, three fewer than her entire freshman year total. Gebhardt credits hard work and teamwork for her team-leading goal total.

“We have played against a lot of zones, so working the ball around on offense and keeping our offense moving really opens up those opportunities to get those points on. I think our overall offense working together has been a big factor this year, not just individual dodges and stuff,” Gebhardt said.

On her improvement since last season, Gebhardt turns to her practice technique.

“I’ve been working on a lot of inside shooting and stuff and stuff off of small openings and zones, because that has been a lot of the defense that we’ve been playing against. Shooting a lot more and working on a lot of finite stick skills,” Gebhardt said.

Georgetown now shifts its focus toward another conference foe, Temple (8-2, 1-1 Big East). Senior attack Brenda McDermott leads the Owls with 19 goals and 22 assists while sophomore midfielder Amber Lambeth has contributed 17 goals for Temple this season. In net, freshman goalie Maryn Lowell has totaled 52 saves this season and 79 goals allowed in 10 games, winning five of them.

Coach Fried stressed the importance of his team playing to its strengths this weekend.

“It’s a conference game again. Everybody is fighting to be one of those top four teams — only four out of the ten get to go to the Big East tournament. Instead of us focusing on what they are going to bring us, it’s us focusing on us getting better and pushing ourselves physically and mentally to make sure we are broadening our game. That’s our big focus this week,” Fried said.

Georgetown’s game against Temple is set for Saturday at 1 p.m. on Cooper Field.