Women’s Lacrosse | GU Opens Big East Schedule

FILE PHOTO: CLAIRE SOISSON/THE HOYA Senior midfielder Kristen Bandos scored five goals in Georgetown’s 12-9 loss to Loyola on March 22. She has 18 goals this season.
FILE PHOTO: CLAIRE SOISSON/THE HOYA
Senior midfielder Kristen Bandos scored five goals in Georgetown’s 12-9 loss to Loyola on March 22. She has 18 goals this season.

The Georgetown women’s lacrosse team (2-7) will play its first conference game against Vanderbilt (4-6, 0-1 Big East) on Saturday in Nashville, Tenn.

After beating George Mason (5-2) 15-12 on March 16, Georgetown has lost its past two games against No. 19 John Hopkins (8-4) and Loyola (6-5, 3-0 Patriot League). Vanderbilt is currently on a four-game losing streak, falling to No. 2 Florida (10-1, 1-0 Big East), Boston University (5-5, 3-1 Atlantic Ten), Johns Hopkins and Stanford (6-2, 1-0 Pac-12).

In the 12-9 loss against Loyola, senior midfielder Kristen Bandos scored five goals, putting her at 18 goals this season to lead her team in the scoring column. Freshman midfielder Francesca Whitehurst scored two goals and recorded an assist, boosting her total to 11 on the season. Senior attack Corinne Etchison, who has 10 total goals, tallied an assist, while freshman midfielder Morgan Ryan and sophomore midfielder Hannah Seibel each added a goal.

The Hoyas hit 2-of-6 free position attempts, but committed 17 turnovers to the Greyhounds’ nine. Georgetown has only scored 76 goals compared to 104 by opponents, and the offense has taken 197 shots compared to opponents’ 209.

Georgetown has not won at home so far this season and hopes to achieve success by taking its talents on the road.

Head Coach Ricky Fried emphasized the need for his team to fix the small errors in recent games.

“The biggest thing is limiting our mistakes,” Fried said. “We went over a lot of films on what we are doing wrong and the mistakes we are making. Basically, the mistakes are very correctable and small and aren’t because we need to be more athletic or more skilled.”

Vanderbilt junior attack Kelly Chandler leads her team with 24 goals, while senior attack Mallory Schonk has scored 20. Junior goalie Callahan Kent has started and played all games in goal, recording 93 saves for a .477 save percentage. The Commodores have scored 104 goals compared to 245 from opponents, but have a .424 shot percent compared to .408 by opponents. Vanderbilt averages 27.2 shots per game and has converted 17 free position shots.

Fried acknowledged Vanderbilt’s ability, but said that his attacking line should be able to break through.

“Vanderbilt is a very athletic team. On the attack, they have some very skilled players and our goal is to make sure we focus on us. Offensively, we should be able to push the ball a little more and take advantage of the youth on their defensive end,” Fried said.

The Hoyas are 7-0 all time against the Commodores, and last season was the first time the teams have met since 2002 after Vanderbilt joined the Big East. In the teams’ last matchup, Georgetown won 10-6 as junior attack Colleen Lovett scored three goals and Etchison scored two.

The Hoyas outshot the Commodores, 26-24, and the teams tied on the draw with nine each. Vanderbilt held the 19-14 advantage on ground balls and forced 16 Hoya turnovers while committing 15. Junior goalie Maddy Fisher, who had three saves against Loyola on March 22, took the win in the cage against Vanderbilt with an impressive 11 saves in the game.

After Vanderbilt, Georgetown will play two more Big East games at home against Florida and Villanova (2-9, 0-1 Big East).

“We have to have more sense of urgency,” Fried said. “We struggled through non-conference play but based on where we are right now, we still have the opportunity to meet our goals. We just need to make sure we’re staying positive as we get into Big East play.”

The Hoyas’ game against Vanderbilt will begin at 1 p.m. tomorrow in Nashville.