WOMEN’S LACROSSE | GU Falls to 1-4 After Loss to Another Top-Five Team

On Saturday the Georgetown women’s lacrosse team dropped its fourth game of the season on the road to the No. 5 North Carolina Tar Heels (6-2). Sophomore midfielder Sophia Thomas and freshman midfielder Hannah Franklin led the Hoyas with a hat trick apiece in the 13-10 loss.

No. 13 Georgetown came out strong in the first half, taking a quick 2-0 lead in the first eight minutes. Captain Mary Beth Brophy, a senior midfielder, tallied the first goal for the Blue and Gray, while Franklin added her first just a minute later.

North Carolina quickly cut the lead to one on a free position shot, but Franklin fired back with her second goal of the game at 10:24.

The Tar Heels then answered with a 5-0 run, making it 6-3 UNC with just 4:52 left in the half. Sophomore attack Dina Jackson and Thomas scored back-to-back goals to bring Georgetown within one, but the Tar Heels notched another goal with just one second left to enter halftime with a 7-5 lead.

Senior attack Jacqueline Giles opened the second half with her only goal of the game to make the score 7-6, but leading Tar Heel scorer Laura Zimmerman, a junior midfielder, buried an unassisted shot to increase the lead to two. A minute later, Thomas responded with her second goal of the game.

Georgetown fought for the lead in the first 10 minutes of the half, but a three-goal run put the Hoyas in an 11-7 hole. Franklin scored her third goal with 11:09 left, but Georgetown could not get closer than three in the last 10 minutes of the game.

“I think we actually played a lot better than we had been playing. We just made multiple mistakes at big moments,” Head Coach Ricky Fried said. “I think it’s positive that we’re making progress, but it’s just disappointing that our mistakes are the ones costing us games right now.”

Captain and senior attack Jordy Kirr led the team with three assists, while sophomore midfielder Rosie Corcoran added one.

Despite being outshot 30-20, the Hoyas put up a strong defensive front, creating 15 turnovers. Freshman goalkeeper Barb Black anchored the defense, making nine saves in her second career start. Georgetown attacks forced North Carolina sophomore goalie Lauren Maksym into six saves.

The Hoyas, who are now 1-4 on the season, faced a difficult opening schedule, playing four ranked teams and three top-five teams in their first five games.

“We do that on purpose because it does prepare us for our conference schedule and helps make us battle-ready,” Fried said. “It’s a little frustrating, obviously, at this moment, but we’re focusing on getting game-ready and putting ourselves in a good position for the end of the year.”

Looking for its second victory of the season, Georgetown will begin conference play against unranked Villanova this Friday at 6 p.m. at MultiSport Facility.