WOMEN’S LACROSSE | Etchinson, Bandos Lead Hoyas in Win

JULIA HENNRIKUS/THE HOYA
JULIA HENNRIKUS/THE HOYA

The Georgetown women’s lacrosse team is finally back near the top of the Big East, winning its past five matchups after suffering a brutal six-game losing streak midway through the season.

With the win streak, all five wins have come against conference opponents, the Hoyas clinched the second seed in the Big East tournament.
Most recently, Georgetown handled Temple (6-9, 3-3 Big East), winning by a 13-6 margin on Senior Day. Both sophomore attack Corrine Etchison and midfielder Kristen Bandos scored four goals for the Hoyas, while Etchison also added an assist. Meanwhile, in goal, senior goalkeeper Barb Black notched her fourth win of the season with three saves. Freshman goalkeeper Maddy Fisher also contributed five saves.
Fried emphasized the benefits of maintaining a wide range of offensive threats going into the postseason tournaments.

“I think [the variety of attacking options] is very valuable in a couple ways,” he said. “One, it makes it difficult to scout us. Two, I think it gives us a lot of confidence that anybody can step up on any given day and I think that’s going to build confidence for us across the board.”

Etchison was named to the weekly Big East Honor Roll after her efforts against Temple and Villanova earlier in the week. In addition to tallying five points Saturday, she also scored a goal and tallied an assist against Villanova. This marks Etchison’s first honor roll award this season.

The win was Fried’s 114th win with the program, putting him at the top of the Georgetown women’s lacrosse coaching list for most wins. This is Fried’s 10th season as head coach of the team.

This Saturday, Georgetown will take on the University of Cincinnati (6-10, 0-6 Big East) in Cincinnati. The game will be the final game of the regular season for the Hoyas. A Georgetown win would give the Hoyas a chance to share the regular season Big East title with Louisville, providing that the Cardinals lose in their last game against Marquette.

Cincinnati has had little success in the Big East this season, losing all six games thus far by five goals or more. On April 19, the Bearcats lost to the University of Connecticut 17-6, a team that the Hoyasdefeated 11-10. While the Blue and Gray are favored in this weekend’s matchup, the focus of the team has not shifted at all in preparation.

“Naturally, there is a little bit of relaxation, so it’s our job as coaches to maintain our focus and really concentrate on us improving so that we can continue to get better and extend our season as long as it will go,” Fried said.

Despite being outscored 207-131 on the season, the Bearcats have an important player on their last line of defense. Sophomore goalkeeper Meg Gulmi has six wins on the season and is the reason that Cincinnati is competitive in many games. She leads the team in ground balls with 46 and is among the conference leaders in caused turnovers. She also recorded 13 saves in the game against Connecticut. Although the Bearcats have struggled offensively, Gulmi has shined in their defensive zone. Gulmi’s teammate, sophomore midfielder Courtney Curtis, leads Cincinnati with 28 goals.

The key to Georgetown’s success in the game will be controlling possession. When the Hoyas get the ball regularly from the start, they are better able to execute their plays in the offensive zone. Earlier in the season, when the Blue and Gray struggled to find wins, the matchups usually began with the opponent going on a multiple-goal run at the start of play.

While Georgetown will look to its top goal scorers in senior midfielder Kelyn Freedman, senior attack Meghan Farrell and junior attack Caroline Tarzian, it will also look to its quieter players for a spark of offensive productivity. Bandos’ exciting four goal contribution this past weekend showed that every player can have similar opportunities to contribute points in the coming games. The Hoyas’ confidence level is at an all-time high and it is evident in their recent play.

“We’re doing a lot of things well, we’re continuing to improve and a lot of different people are contributing,” Fried said. “There are a lot of positives. The biggest challenge is to maintain our focus and concentration and continue to get better over a daily basis.”