Georgetown Bows out of WNIT With Maryland Loss By Stephen Owens Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown women’s basketball team concluded its season with a disheartening first-round loss in the Women’s National Invitation Tournament for the second consecutive season. Playing without their leading scorer and rebounder, junior guard Katie Smrcka-Duffy, the Hoyas were unable to generate enough offense to compete with aryland, who ousted Georgetown from the tournament with a 63-46 trouncing.

Without Smrcka-Duffy and her average of 18.6 points per game, the Hoyas were held to their lowest point total of the season.

Head Coach Pat Knapp commented on Smrcka-Duffy’s absence after the game.

“It’s not ideal,” he said, “but I’m not interested in making any excuses.”

The problem for the Hoyas was that nobody stepped up to fill the shoes of Smrcka-Duffy, who too often this season has had to carry the team on her shoulders.

For the first time this season, not one Hoya player reached double digits in scoring. Freshman guard Shawntese Charles led the Hoyas in scoring with nine points, followed by junior forward Nathalie Bourdereau, and freshmen Suzy Bendegue and Nok Duany, who each added eight.

Bourdereau also led the Hoyas with eight rebounds, while Bendegue added a game-high four blocked shots.

Ball control was another factor that led to the blowout. The Hoyas committed 27 turnovers, three short of their season high set against top-ranked Connecticut in January.

Overall, the Hoyas played nearly 40 minutes of uninspired basketball in what was certainly one of their poorest efforts of the season.

“When you go down the floor and throw the ball away 27 times, and you miss 70 percent of your shots, it’s hard to keep your spirits up,” Knapp said.

The Hoyas finished up their 1999-2000 campaign with an overall record of 17-13.

Related Links

Women’s Basketball Page