This year, in honor of National Women’s History Month, which has occurred every March since 1987, GU Women in Politics and the Women’s Center are hosting Women’s History Week.

This week will include several events, including fundraising, panel discussions and roundtable events, aimed at the promotion of political issues of women around campus.

“Our goal is to connect young women on campus to women all over – on the Hill[top], as well as faculty members on campus, and to promote equality and knowledge of the issues pertaining to women,” said Morgan Shepard (COL ’09), chairwoman and director of communications for GU Women in Politics.

The week will kickoff tomorrow with a coffeehouse open mic night in Uncommon Grounds, followed by a reception on Thursday in the Admissions Office, which will feature successful women from all over the District.

Shepard said that GU Women in Politics wants the Georgetown community to “open up a forum” of discussion between male and female students pertaining to women’s issues.

“Especially during the open mic night, students – regardless of gender, race or religion – will be able to openly discuss the accomplishments and achievements of women in the past, as well as the present,” Shepard said.

On Wednesday, Roman Catholic Chaplaincy Director Catherine Heinhold will discuss faith and feminism in the lecture “Telling Her Story.” Community service and advocacy organizations will hold an open house in the Leavey Program Room on Thursday, focusing on women’s outreach, advocacy, service organizations and internship opportunities. Also on Thursday, there will be a film screening of “The Secret Life of Bees” at 7:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. in the Intercultural Center Auditorium. Women’s Late Night Comedy Hour with Erin Jackson, Aparna Nacheria and Lisa Fine March will be held from 10 p.m. to 12 a.m. on March 28 in the Bulldog Lounge.

These events will be sponsored by Health Education Services, What’s After Dark, and Georgetown Program Board.