Women’s Crew Wins at Duke; Weather Causes Men’s Cancellation

By Meredith McCloskey Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown women’s crew team was successful in varsity competition, but struggled in novice racing against Duke University on the Potomac this weekend. The Hoyas also dropped three races to Boston University.

The regatta commenced despite strong headwinds. The Georgetown Varsity 8-plus took the lead from Duke within the first 500 meters of the race winning by over 20 seconds with a time of 7:10.39.

The second varsity 8-plus squad for the Hoyas rowed against the novice field, finishing second, clocking in at 7:25.19. Duke’s first novice team easily dominated the race, winning with a time of 7:03.50. The Blue Devils’ second novice team’s 7:33.82-second performance earned a third-place finish, and the Hoyas first novice team rounded out the race, crossing the finish line just behind Duke at 7:36.46.

Last year the Hoyas also defeated the Blue Devils in head-to-head competition. However, this past weekend Duke pulled up their experienced freshmen to their varsity squad, giving the Hoyas a new taste of competition.

In competition against Boston University, increasingly strong headwinds caused the race course to be shortened from 2,000 meters to 1,750 meters. The terriers dominated the Hoyas, winning the Second Varsity 8-plus, the Varsity 4-plus and the Novice 8-plus races by an average of nearly 20 seconds. The Varsity 8-plus race was cancelled due to difficult racing conditions, which was a disappointment for the Hoyas.

“It was a good opportunity for us to race B.U. We were looking forward to it,” Head Coach Tony Johnson said.

Despite the lack of victories from the varsity Hoya women, the team is not short of confidence. “They have raced well, they just haven’t won. They weren’t as fast as the other guy, but they have been working hard,” said Johnson.

As the spring season progresses, the Hoyas expect to face a competitive field of opponents. “We continue to try to find the best competition to challenge and stimulate ourselves and to get the best performance out of all of our crews. We’re performing as planned,” Johnson said.

The heavyweight and lightweight men’s crew races scheduled against Cornell and Princeton Saturday, April 8 were canceled due to unrowable race conditions. No make-up date is scheduled. The Villanova Lightweight Invitational scheduled to be held in Camden, N.J., April 9 was also canceled because of unrowable conditions.

After opening the season with a win over Columbia last weekend, the men’s lightweight squad will meet Navy this Saturday without several top rowers who will take the MCAT, and travel to Ithica Sunday to compete against Cornell and Yale. The men’s heavyweight team has not competed since their spring break in Florida, but proved strong in a scrimmage against Rutgers where they split races.

Although there is concern that the anticipated protest against the IMF World Bank will create complications, all of the Georgetown crews are scheduled to compete in the George Washington Invitational Regatta Saturday, April 15.