WOMEN’S BASKETBALL | GU Rolls Through Richmond to Begin Season

AMANDA VAN ORDEN/THE HOYA | Junior guard Morgan Smith had 11 points and six rebounds in 22 minutes of play against Richmond.

After a wait of nearly eight months, the Georgetown women’s basketball team kicked off its 2018-19 campaign with a decisive 73-53 win on the road over Richmond on Nov. 6.

The Hoyas saw contributions from a number of players on their path to victory, including graduate student guard Dorothy Adomako, who returned to the Hoyas after a season-ending injury last year.

Senior guard Dionna White and graduate student guard Mikayla Venson picked up where they left off last year, while a new group of transfers and freshmen added strong performances as well.

Prior to the season, White was named to the Big East Conference preseason team and earned a spot on the Ann Meyers Drysdale Award Watch List, which recognizes the best shooting guard in the nation. Venson averaged 13.2 points per game and led the Hoyas in shooting behind the arc last season, knocking down 51 three-pointers.

White and Venson each added 11 points and shot over 50 percent from the field against the Spiders, leading the Hoyas in minutes played. White had a strong all-around game, taking away multiple second-chance opportunities from Richmond by grabbing nine rebounds and involving her teammates by adding four assists.

Adomako was the Hoyas’ high scorer of the evening, tallying 14 points along with three rebounds, three assists, three steals and two blocks in her first game in over a year. The 2014-15 Big East rookie of the year, who has averaged 14.1 points per game and 6.4 rebounds per game in her collegiate career, returned to the team this year as a graduate student.

Freshman guard Nikola Kovacikova and junior forward Anita Kelava made their Georgetown debuts.

Kelava, who previously played for Croatia’s U-20 national team and transferred from the University of Maine, posted eight points and nine rebounds in her first game as a Hoya. Kelava sat out last season as a result of NCAA transfer rules.

Kovacikova added eight points off the bench. Like Kelava, Kovacikova played overseas before coming to Georgetown, competing on the Slovak women’s national team.

Before the season, Head Coach James Howard said that Kovacikova will provide the Hoyas with experience and scoring ability.

“We are excited about the addition of Nikola to the Hoya family. Her experience playing on the international level will bring a wealth of knowledge to the court and the program. She has the ability to score at the combo guard position,” Howard said in an interview with GUHoyas.

Georgetown’s guard depth was on display against Richmond, as Louisville transfer senior guard Brianna Jones added four points in eight minutes in her first game as a Hoya, while junior guard Morgan Smith posted 11 points, more than doubling her average point total from last season.

Georgetown started quickly in the first quarter, opening a 13-point lead. In the second quarter, the Hoyas extended their lead to 25 and outscored the Spiders 21-9. Richmond found consistency offensively in the second half, tallying 21 points in the third quarter and 16 in the final quarter.

Georgetown totaled 45 rebounds to Richmond’s 31, shot 46.4 percent from the field and 5-18 from three-point range. The Hoyas started strong, shooting 52.6 percent from the field in the first quarter and 52.94 percent in the second quarter.

Howard noted the uncertainties that lie ahead at the beginning of a new season.

“Our seniors and upperclassmen really came to play today. I didn’t know how we would start, and the way we started was fantastic,” Howard said.

Howard also emphasized Georgetown’s all-around play and contributions on both ends of the floor.

“They shot the ball well, they distributed the ball and they played defense,” Howard said. “So overall I was proud of our effort tonight.”

Georgetown will take the floor Nov. 9 against the University of Maryland Eastern Shore in the home opener in McDonough Arena.