The Georgetown women’s tennis team continued to shine as it earned two singles championships in last weekend’s Georgetown Invitational.

Because of bad weather, the format of the tournament was changed so that each match comprised one set played to eight games.

Georgetown senior Liora Gelblum defeated George Washington junior Ana Skravonskia 8-5 to capture the main draw championship in flight A. On her way to the finals, she beat Julia Colarusso, American’s No. 1 player and the top seed of the draw, in the second round.

“I was really excited to win because I was going into the tournament knowing that we would face some tough competition,” Gelblum said. “I felt really good because our team beat some top players from Washington schools.”

In flight B, freshman Adriann Gin prevailed over James Madison sophomore Mary Napier 8-4 to win her main draw championship. In the semifinals, Gin beat Anne Watkins, a sophomore from GWU, earning a win over an opponent to whom she lost at the University of Maryland Invitational a week ago.

Together, Gelblum and Gin racked up wins against six players that had defeated the Hoyas last year.

“We got great performances from them,” Head Coach Rich Bausch said.

Four Hoyas – senior Liddy Bartell, sophomore Eileen Boyle and freshmen Stephanie Cohen and Liz Winokur – won matches in the first round but fell in their second matches. Bartell and Boyle then won in the consolation round, while Cohen and Winokur lost.

Freshman Maddie Long lost her first round match but earned two wins in consolation rounds.

Junior Kristin Dew and sophomores Nora Gardner and Sana Malouf all won consolation matches after dropping their first round matches. Dew and Malouf played in another round of consolation matches and lost.

Junior Michelle DiCocco dropped two consolation matches after receiving a bye in the first round.

In doubles play, each of the five pairs picked up one win.

The four schools that participated in the tournament beat the Hoyas in dual meets last year. This weekend, Georgetown compiled a 24-19 record against these teams.

“The quality of the team’s wins this weekend was better than last weekend,” Bausch said. “The competition was far more capable this weekend.”

This weekend, the women’s tennis team will head to the site of the U.S. Open in Flushing, N.Y., for the USTA National Team Invitational.

The event includes 22 teams, six of which rank in the top 40. Half of the invitees are in the top 70.

“The level of competition in this event is incredible,” Bausch said. “Any significant wins this weekend will improve our chances to qualify for the regional championship.”

While the women are away, the men’s tennis team will go across town to compete against George Washington at 2:30 p.m. today.