Women Top Akron, St. Francis

Men, Women Await League-Rival Providence

By Meredith McCloskey Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown women’s swim team emerged victorious twice this past Saturday, beating both Akron 58-37 and St. Francis 52-43 in a double dual meet. These two wins improve the Hoyas’ record to 6-3 this season.

Highlights include junior Meghan Welch who broke her own school record in the 200-yard individual medley by five one-hundredths of a second with a time of 2:12.92, which was good enough for first. She also won the 100-yard breaststroke in 1:08:42.

Freshman Amanda Anderson was also a double winner dominating both the distance events. She placed first in the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 11:02.82 and the 500-yard freestyle with 5:25.17.

Other firsts for Georgetown came from freshman Sophia Adkison, who won the 50-yard freestyle in a time of 25.66, and freshman Lauren Schmidt who swam a 1:01.38 in the 100-yard butterfly. Sophomore Casey Stapleton also took the 100-yard backstroke, turning in a time of 1:05.03. Adkison, Welch, Schmidt and freshman Anne Bihler together won the 400-yard medley relay in 4:21.39.

Due to study abroad programs and injuries, the women’s team has lost key swimmers and depth since last semester.

“The meet was closer than hoped,” said Head Coach Beth Bower, “so we have to focus on racing better in the next few weeks.”

Both the men’s team and the divers were off this weekend. All look forward to next weekend when the team will travel to Providence, a Big East rival.

“Both teams are excited and feel they can win with a lot of effort,” Bower said.