Over the weekend, many Hoyas enjoyed the beautiful breezes and sunny skies while reclining in Dahlgren quad or reading a book on the Village C hill. Meanwhile, five students also spent the weekend outdoors, but they were not on beach towels on the remnants of Copley Lawn.

These five young ladies traveled to New Jersey, where they competed in the Princeton Invitational on Saturday and Sunday. When the last golfer sank her putt, the Hoyas ended the tournament with a sixth-place finish.

Sixteen teams competed in Princeton at a 36-hole event at Springdale Golf Club. The club, originally called the Princeton Golf Club, has seen play since 1896, a year after the club was formed by faculty, students and alumni of Princeton. The original course was only nine holes and no longer exists. Instead, the club built another nine-hole course that opened in March 1902 and completed the 18-hole format in June 1915. The members changed the name to Springdale Golf Club in 1922 and took over all the responsibilities of running it.

Princeton used some local knowledge to run away with the tournament, shooting a team score of 622 (300, 322) for 46 over par. Yale came closest to the Tigers’ stunning performance with 322, 319 for a total of 641. University of Richmond followed with 645 (321, 324), while Brown University claimed fourth place with 646 (322, 324). Weber State rounded out the top five with 649 (324, 325).

The Hoyas put up 323 on the first day and 330 on the second to register 653, only four shots out of fourth place. Sophomore Nicole Hayashi tied for 17th place, posting an 18-over par 162 (80, 82). Right behind Hayashi, sophomore Christie Larrimore drove and putted her way to a 163 (81, 82), good enough for a tie at 21st place. Playing what looked on paper like the same round, freshmen Maggie Ward and Rosalina Ascolani debuted at 25th place with 164 (81, 83). Completing the Hoyas’ roster was junior Connie Isler, tied for 34th place, just two strokes behind the Ascolani and Ward with a 166 (83, 83).

Princeton freshman Sharla Cloutier won the event with a 151 (74, 77), seven over par. This marks Cloutier’s second collegiate competition and her first win. Her first tournament, the Dartmouth Invitational two weekends ago, found her in second place overall. Hot on her heels was teammate junior Avery Kiser, who shot 72 on day one but could not hold together on day two, shooting an 80 for 152, eight over par. Ashley Lambert and Lauren Ritter of Richmond claimed third and fourth place, shooting 154 (77, 77) and 155 (77, 78), respectively. Lynsey Meyers of Weber State landed fifth place with a 156 (77, 79).

Last year at this time, after finishing a disappointing 15th out of 18 teams at the Notre Dame Invitational, the Hoyas won their first team tournament, the Rutgers Invitational, on Oct. 19.

Next weekend the team travels to New Haven to compete in the 18th Annual Yale Women’s Fall Intercollegiate.