The men’s and women’s tennis teams recorded finishes this weekend that were nearly polar opposites. While the men received a painful 6-1 loss from Maryland, the women’s team handed George Mason its fifth consecutive loss by a decisive 7-0 margin.

For the men, College Park Tennis Center in College Park, Md. housed the Sunday match versus the Terps. Coming off of losses to Radford, James Madison, Virginia Commonwealth and Old Dominion at the VCU 4+1 Tournament, and a 2-3 loss to Navy, the Hoyas were desperate to taste victory once again. This hunger did not translate into a win, though, as Maryland successfully won two of the three doubles matches and five out of six singles matches.

In doubles, the team of senior Marc Lohser and sophomore Erik Bildman fell 8-6 to senior Chris Chiu and freshman Scott Peters, while the Terps’ pair of freshman Troy Demers and sophomore Dave Reichsfeld delivered an authoritative 8-1 romp to senior Chris Belelieu and freshman Eric Conrad. Georgetown’s one doubles victory came from junior Dennis Cravedi and freshman Ryan Peisel, who handled freshmen Pierce Rudder and Scott Baxter with an 8-5 victory.

The letter “L” littered the singles bracket, as Georgetown’s first singles Cravedi, third singles Belelieu, and fourth, fifth and sixth singles Bildman, Peisel and Conrad all dropped their matches. Second singles Lohser pulled off the only win over Peters in a three set match.

The story of the women’s team follows a much different storyline. Coming off a shutout loss to the Terps, the Hoyas dished out some punishment of their own. In doubles, sophomores Liddy Bartell and Trina Snow edged out senior Denali DeSilva and freshman Jennifer Dektas, while junior Jordan Botjer and sophomore Monisha Ghia aced sophomores Katie Sloper and Suzan Tugberk. Junior Stephanie Sutton and sophomore Liora Gelbum also defeated their opponents, the freshmen pair of Kelly Melichar and Jill Collins, 8-4.

The Hoyas swept the singles matches, dropping only 11 individual games in the process.

The men play their next match on Saturday, Feb. 22 versus UVA in another dual match in Charlottesville, Va. The women start their Big East play when they take on Pittsburgh on Feb. 21, followed by Syracuse on Feb. 22 and St. John’s on the following day.