The Georgetown men and women’s swimming and diving teams came away from their final dual meet of the season with mixed results. The women were victorious over the Drexel Dragons 184-116 while the men fell 128-167.

The win gave the women an impressive 8-2 record on the season, but that is no more than Head Coach Bethany Bower expected.

“Nothing these girls do surprises me because I know how tough they are,” Bower said.

Junior standout Katie Amaro recorded a victory in the 1000-yard freestyle, an event she has dominated this season. Less than 15 minutes later she nearly set a personal best in the 200-yard freestyle, winning with a time of 1:54.62. Amaro almost won a third event, the 500-yard freestyle, but she was touched out by sophomore Katie McCann of Drexel by .06 seconds.

Cori Raffaelli, the sole senior representative on the women’s side, came in just behind Amaro in the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:51.81. Raffaelli also finished third in both the 500-yard freestyle and the 200-yard butterfly.

“I think it was not the swim she hoped for, but she still had a solid meet,” Bower said of her captain.

Co-captain junior Cori Rhodes dominated the breaststroke events, winning both the 100- and 200-yard events with times of 1:08.56 and 2:28.52, respectively.

Sophomore Liz Nugent was also a double winner, capturing first place in both the 100- and 200-yard backstroke.

The men, who finished the season with a 5-3 record, were led by senior captain Kevin Walsh. In his final collegiate dual meet, Walsh won the 100- and 200-yard butterfly events with times of 53.63 and 1:58.67, respectively.

Junior Jon Hayden provided a highlight for the team as he won the 1000-yard freestyle in an ECAC-qualifying time of 10:09.80.

Another bright point was the performance of freshman swimmer Chris Ball, who came out of nowhere to win the 500-yard freestyle in a time of 4:54.52.

Coach Bower also pointed to three of her outgoing seniors – captain Brendan Griffin, Peter Nguyen and Brad Perez – as having particularly strong swims on Saturday.

“I don’t think the score really reflects the quality of this meet,” Bower said of her men’s team. “No one walked away easily, and they all swam with good emotion.”

On the diving side of the meet the Hoyas had a respectable showing as freshman Kelcey Moore came in second in both the 1- and 3-meter events. For the men, junior Doug Curran emerged with the same results as Moore.

The Hoyas are now looking two weeks down the road as they prepare for the Northeast Conference Championships. Bower sees the men as heavy favorites going in but predicts a bit more of a battle for the women, where the relays will play a large role. As the swimmers start to decrease yardage and increase intervals going into the final weeks, she says that the meet against Drexel “feeds the fuel as far as motivation.”

The Hoyas are hoping that fuel is enough to propel them to a fitting ending to a great season.