Most tennis players can only fantasize about playing at the site of the U.S. Open.

But the Georgetown women’s tennis team lived that dream as it competed in the prestigious USTA NTC Women’s College Tennis National Invitational in Flushing, N.Y., last weekend.

The team made an impressive showing in the highly competitive tournament. Half of the 22 participating teams are nationally ranked, and four are in the top 20.

Junior Kristin Dew led the Hoyas with three overall wins. In the first round of flight E play, she prevailed over sophomore Allison Barry of North Carolina State, 7-6 (6), 6-1.

“It was by far the best tournament we’ve ever been to,” Dew said.

Senior Liora Gelblum also earned a win in the first round, defeating senior Akane Kokubo, Cornell’s top-ranked player, 6-2, 3-6, 10-8.

Later, sophomore Stephanie Cohen overcame Penn State sophomore Andreea Niculescu, 5-7, 6-4, 10-4, in the first consolation round.

The Hoyas fared significantly better in the second consolation round, tallying four wins. In flight C, freshman Liz Winokur defeated Army junior Megan Noble, 7-5, 6-4. Meanwhile, freshman Adriann Gin beat Laura Stiekema, a Boston University freshman, 6-2, 6-2, in flight D.

Sophomores Nora Gardner and Sana Malouf also took singles victories in flight E play. Gardner defeated Barry, 6-3, 7-6 (8), while Malouf topped Army sophomore Amber McGolerick, 6-2, 6-2.

The pair of Dew and Cohen led Georgetown in doubles play with two wins in the flight C consolation rounds. They defeated the Brown freshmen duo of Ashley Pariser and Meredith Woodhouse 9-7 and went on to triumph over Army’s McGolerick and freshman Christina Limsiaco 8-5.

Gardner and freshman Maddie Long also won a doubles match 8-3 over the Boston University pair of sophomore Gabbie Hernandez and freshman Cheri Lapane.

In all, Georgetown earned eleven wins in the tournament.

“I think we showed that we can play with the top teams,” Cohen said.

In men’s tennis, the Hoyas competed in their only dual match of the fall last Friday and were unable to take the overall win. Local rival and host George Washington University defeated Georgetown, 5-2.

The event began with three matches of doubles play. Georgetown sophomores Scott Faust and Kevin Killeavy defeated the GWU pair of freshman Sam Salyer and sophomore Gordon Daniels 8-6 to give the Hoyas a doubles victory. It was not enough, however, as George Washington won the other two matches to win the doubles competition.

In the six singles matches, the Hoyas were only able to come up with two wins. Senior Erik Bildman beat GWU senior Daniel Raisbek, 6-3, 6-4. Ending the night, freshman Scott Maucher took a three-set victory (6-4, 4-6, 7-5) over GWU freshman Sam Salyer.

The men will have a chance to settle the score with GWU this weekend, as they travel with the women to play in the Old Point Bank Invitational at Old Dominion University.