Lucye Rafferty/The Hoya The Georgetown women’s swim team makes waves in the pool. While both the men’s and women’s teams have struggled this fall in dual meets, the women’s team won its first meet against Mary Washington las

Picking up its first win of the fall, the Georgetown women’s swim team defeated Mary Washington College in Fredericksburg, Va., on Friday. The men’s team, also swimming against the Eagles, could not match the womens’ success and continued to struggle, dropping its fourth consecutive meet and remaining winless on the season.

“It was a tight meet, close the whole way,” Head Coach Bethany Bower said of the women’s 114-91 victory. “There were no easy races, but we won the events we needed to win.”

On the women’s side, it was an uphill battle from the first event of the day, when they lost the 400yd medley relay, putting them nine points behind. Fighting back, the women were able to win the next two events, the 1,000 and 200yd freestyle races behind senior Colleen Newman and sophomore Katie Amaro. These wins put the Hoyas back on top in the point total, but they then dropped the next two events to fall behind.

Momentum swung back to the Hoyas after the 200yd butterfly and stayed behind them until the meet’s close. After trailing for the first 100 yards of the race, freshman Laura Sytnyk pulled ahead and won by almost three seconds, with a time of 2:11.96, Sytnyk set a new season-best time for the Hoyas. Sytnyk held the previous season best in the 200yd fly at 2:13.18, a time she set last week against Seton Hall.

After the strong performance by Sytnyk, the Hoyas seemed refocused, finishing first in every event for the rest of the afternoon. Amaro, who already won the 200yd freestyle, went on to win both the 100 and 500yd freestyle races, setting a season-best time in the 100 at 54.53 seconds. Freshman Mary Mason, swimming the 200yd backstroke, also set a new season-best time at 2:12.96 to pick up first place.

Finishing the day strong, sophomore Corinne Rhodes picked up the win in the 200yd breaststroke with a time of 2:28.89. Newman, who does not train for the breaststroke, also swam in the race, finishing fifth and picking up a point to help the Hoyas secure the win.

In the last event of the day, the Hoyas sealed the victory with a win in the 400yd freestyle relay. The team of Mason, freshman cKay Elliott and sophomores Julie Dougherty and Kaele Stock finished at a season-best 3:45.90, almost five seconds in front of the second-place Eagles’ team.

“We knew it was going to be a really close meet,” Newman said. “In the second half we had to regroup, and as a team we were able to pull it together for the win.”

“We’ve been training really hard,” Amaro added. “We have good spirit and team morale and that helped us this weekend.”

For the men’s team, the meet went much like all the others this season: Despite a strong finish and close score, the Hoyas were again unable to seal the win.

After dropping the opening relay, Georgetown fell behind in the points and was never able to catch up, despite strong finishes in almost all of the events. Sophomore Kevin Rieffel finished second in the 1,000yd freestyle, senior Edmund Caufield finished second in the 200yd freestyle, junior Michael Bayer picked up a first-place finish in the 50yd freestyle and sophomore Nick Libertiny finished second in the 200yd individual medley. With half the meet gone, the Hoyas still trailed by 13 points.

In the next event, however, the 200yd butterfly, junior Kevin Walsh finished first to pull the Hoyas back within reach of the win. Adding 14 points to their total, the men trailed by only four heading into the 100yd freestyle, the seventh event of the 11-event meet. The team failed to take advantage of the race, and the Hoyas would never come as close to the Eagles for the rest of the meet.

Another win by Walsh in the 200yd backstroke and a second-place finish by sophomore Jon Hayden in the 500yd freestyle could not keep the meet close. By the last event, the 400yd freestyle relay, the win had slipped out of Georgetown’s grasp, as even a victory in that race by the team of Bayer, Hayden, freshman Josh Bair and sophomore Don Ball at 3:20.54 was not enough to go ahead. The Hoyas finished the day with a final losing score of 115-90.

“It’s been a tough fall,” Walsh said. “I’ve been surprised with my good start, but I wish the men’s team overall could do well.”

“If we had had the diving events we would have won,” Bower said. Mary Washington does not have diving facilities, she explained, and the points usually won by freshman Terry Huang in the one- and three-meter diving events could have been enough to put the Hoyas ahead.

Both the men and the women will have one more chance to put up strong numbers this season in the Patriot Invitational at George ason University this weekend.