The Georgetown women’s volleyball team got its first Big East victory on Saturday evening in a convincing fashion.

With McDonough Gymnasium filled with parents and fans, the Hoyas defeated the Villanova Wildcats in three games (30-25, 30-26, 30-27) to move to 13-8 on the season and 1-2 in Big East play.

The Hoyas had trouble with their serves, but more than made up for their struggles with their blocking, holding a 14-7 advantage over Villanova.

Georgetown looked like the better team on the court and never seemed to lose its cool, even when Villanova attempted a comeback. In the first game, the Wildcats got some momentum late in the contest, but it was too little, too late and the Hoyas managed to hold them off.

The same pattern ensued in the next two games, and Georgetown secured the victory.

The Hoyas played without junior outside hitter Ashley Lancaster, who has been one of their most productive players. But the rest of the team filled in for her without missing a beat.

Junior outside hitter Rachel Nelson had a match-high 12 kills, along with seven digs and six blocks. As impressive as Nelson’s block total was, both senior middle blocker Sara Albert and sophomore middle blocker Annie Connor managed to best it, tallying seven blocks apiece. Albert had nine kills while Connor came up with seven and a match-high hitting percentage, .429.

The Hoya freshmen continued to be a large factor with outside hitter Patty Carroll putting up 11 kills and libero Kate Nulty contributing 12 digs to the winning effort.

Georgetown outhit Villanova .205 to .095 and looked to be in control throughout the entire match.

Georgetown will now look to climb the Big East rankings as it hits the road to take on Pittsburgh and West Virginia this Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 23 and 24.