Although the match scores were the same, the competition the Georgetown women’s volleyball team faced from the Temple Owls on Sunday was much stiffer than what they faced against the Navy idshipmen just four days earlier.

After breezing past the Midshipmen 3-0, the Hoyas found themselves very evenly matched against the Owls. The Hoyas managed to win all three games to edge out the Owls 33-31, 30-25, 31-29, and pick up their second straight win.

In the first game the two teams traded points back and forth without either team being able to put together a scoring streak. Both teams were plagued by inconsistent hitting and Georgetown had particular difficulty with its serving.

The Hoyas got an offensive boost to close out the game. Georgetown had an impressive .500 hitting percentage in that game, compared to just .390 for Temple.

Head Coach Li Liu stressed the importance of being able to pick up one aspect of the game when another is sub-par.

“If you don’t have the best serving day you have to get a pass,” Liu said. “Our blocking was okay and our hitting was better.”

The Hoyas continued to get stronger as the match went on. In the second game they jumped out to an early lead and, although Temple closed the gap, Georgetown was able to hold on for the win.

The third game was another close one but Georgetown sealed the victory on a Temple error. With the win, Georgetown moved to 10-6 on the season while Temple fell to 7-12.

The Hoyas had a different look on Sunday, as senior setter argaret Vernon and junior outside hitter Rachel Nelson did not play, although Liu said it was not health related. Georgetown went with a younger lineup on the court and the freshmen all seemed to be up to the task.

Freshman outside hitter Patty Carroll had nine kills to go with 11 digs. Freshman libero Kate Nulty had eight digs, and Liu said she was impressed by Nulty’s play in particular.

“All the freshmen played really well. Kate Nulty is getting better in the back row,” Liu said.

Freshman setter Kate Fisher handed out 38 assists, in addition to six digs and a kill of her own.

The most common recipients of her sets were junior outside hitter Ashley Lancaster and senior middle blocker Sara Albert, who has been Georgetown’s most consistent player this season. Lancaster had 12 kills while Albert led the team with 14. Lancaster also had 10 digs for a double-double.

The Hoyas ended the match with 13 serving errors, and they were outblocked by the Owls, 6-5. Those were the only sub-par parts of their performance.

Despite Georgetown’s win, the match seemed to be something of a struggle for the women. However, they were “calm enough to make adjustments,” Liu said. She said she hopes to see more of that presence of mind as the season continues into Big East play.

“The Big East is tough. We can’t afford to make any mistakes. We can’t have bad weekends,” Liu said. “Me and my assistant are both pushing our team really hard. That hard work will pay off.”

The Hoyas have one final tune-up match before Big East competition starts. They play tonight at George Washington at 7 p.m.