Woes Continue as Bethel Leaves, Hall Looks Elsewhere

While many Hoya fans wait in anticipation of the draft to see whether or not junior forward Michael Sweetney will depart early for the NBA, as many as two other current Hoyas may be in different uniforms as early as next season.

Sophomore Tony Bethel was granted his official release from the university on May 9. Bethel, a 6’2″ guard from Ft. Washington, Md., started in all 34 games this year seeing the most action at point guard. Averaging 31.4 minutes and 10.8 points per game, Bethel led the Hoyas in steals with 55.

“Tony worked very hard for us and did a good job here at Georgetown. He has determined that he wishes to pursue his education at a different venue. He has been granted his release and we all wish him the best,” men’s basketball head coach Craig Esherick said in a press release. “I don’t know what schools he is considering and beyond wishing him the best I don’t feel it’s appropriate for me to comment further.”

Also considering a transfer is sophomore guard Drew Hall, who recently visited the University of Dayton. Hall, a 6’1″ point guard, did not start any games this year, but saw action in all 34 contests, tallying 21.9 minutes and 3.5 points per game. As reported by The Dayton Daily News, the Flyers are interested in recruiting Hall because of their lack of depth at the point guard position. Hall’s two years of Big East playing experience make him an appealing target, though he would be forced to sit out his junior year due to NCAA Clearinghouse rules.

If Hall also decides to transfer, the Hoyas will be forced to rely on rising sophomore Ashanti Cook and incoming freshman Matt Causey to pick up their minutes at point guard. Cook, who saw limited action this season because of an ankle problem, averaged 14.5 minutes and five points off the bench in 24 games. Playing for two high schools, Berkmar and East Hall in Gainesville, Ga., Causey averaged 18 points and nine assists per game last year.