Wiz Khalifa To Headline Spring Concert

The Red List
The Red List

The Georgetown Program Board announced on Thursday that rapper Wiz Khalifa will headline the GPB Spring Kickoff Concert. The concert will be held in the McDonough Gymnasium on Saturday, April 22.

Doors will be open from 9 p.m. to 10:45 p.m., with tickets ranging from $35 for Georgetown students to $60 for non-students. The GPB is also offering two special ticket varieties exclusively to students: Fast Track and VIP. Fast Track, which is priced at $40, offers an expedited wait line, while VIP, priced at $50, also offers an expedited wait line in addition to a group picture with Khalifa.

Khalifa performed at previously at the Spring Kickoff Concert in 2012. GPB Co-chair of Concerts Sam Drummond (MSB ’18) said he has high hopes for Khalifa’s performance this spring and expects his second visit to be more popular.

“Obviously he’s a huge name, and we made it our goal this year to not settle for a smaller-scale artist,” Drummond said. “Wiz came to campus five years ago and it was a massive success. We thought it would be incredible to bring him back.”

Khalifa is currently on his “The High Road Tour” after the February release of his sixth studio album, “Khalifa.” “Khalifa,” which sold over 60,000 records and more than 20 million streams in its first week, also features artists such as Travi$ Scott, J.R. Donato, Ty Dolla $ign and Juicy J.

GPB’s selection of Wiz Khalifa came after an in-depth analysis of what artist would be the best fit for the university this year. After deliberation and planning, the committee decided a hip-hop artist would cater best to the interests of students who took a poll on what type of musical artist they wanted for the spring concert.

“We found that the campus, as well as our committee, would like a hip-hop artist, given our polls and committee discussions,” Drummond said.

Student reaction to the concert announcement has been largely positive. Ali Rehman (COL ’17), who identified as a long-time fan of Khalifa, echoed Drummond’s excitement.

“I’ve been a fan of Wiz since ‘Kush & Orange Juice,’” Rehman said. “From what I’ve heard and seen from his video logs, it seems like he knows how to put on a show.”

Daniel Frumento (COL ’18) also said he was excited for Khalifa’s appearance.

“Wiz is truly a wizard. ‘Black and Yellow’ is a constant song on my workout playlist,” Frumento said.

While students are excited about Wiz Khalifa’s appearance, GPB hopes the concert will be appealing to students regardless of their music preferences. Drummond also expects the yet-decided concert opener will also cater to students’ interests.

“The opener hasn’t finished contracting yet, but we think he’ll complement Wiz quite well. We also have a bunch of giveaways to hand out to make the experience even better,” Drummond said.

Tickets can be purchased on Tablelist.