Ever since I have been old enough to comprehend the notion of college, my parents have been telling me about how great their college experiences were. My dad tells stories about 50-cent beers and big parties, with the occasional academic anecdote thrown in. My mom, on the other hand, tells stories mostly about the professors that she bonded with, and the articles that she wrote for her school’s paper. However, despite my parents differing college experiences, one aspect of their four years of college that they both appreciated was the entertainment that their college provided for them.

y parents both spent their college years at the State University of New York at Oneonta. As you might be able to guess from its name, it is not an academic institution blessed with the financial recourses of a major private university, such as the ones I was considering attending. With this in mind, as my dad talked about how Bruce Springsteen played at Oneonta with tickets available for a dollar and my mom raved about seeing Billy Joel, I shivered in anticipation thinking about the acts that my future university would be able to procure.

The assumption that my future college would have the resources to attain quality entertainment only grew when I did an overnight at the University of Notre Dame and went to a Third Eye Blind concert on campus. With these examples in mind, I headed to Georgetown in the fall of 2007 expecting to be impressed. Man, was I wrong.

Last year, Georgetown brought in one somewhat legitimate musical act, the rapper Common. He was supplemented earlier on in the year by Coolio (to the freshmen, no, I’m not kidding), who is probably best known for singing the theme song to the Nickelodeon show “Kenan & Kel.” And as if Coolio himself lacked any legitimacy, Georgetown more than filled the gap by ensuring that the “concert” was held in Leo’s Dining Hall. That’s right, Leo’s, home of the norovirus. Am I saying that Coolio caused the norovirus? Draw your own conclusions.

I think I was there for 15 minutes before I’d been kicked in the face, and jumped on by a guy sans shirt. I have no idea what Georgetown paid (or was paid by) Coolio to convince him to play in our dining hall, but I can’t imagine it was much more than some Georgetown students get from their parents per week (yeah, I’m talking about you. You with the Vineyard Vines shorts wearing the aviators indoors).

Georgetown does at least marginally better when it comes to procuring guest speakers, although still not as well as you would expect for a university with its reputation and with this location. Before I came here, I expected senators and congressmen and other big shots to appear on campus every other weekend. But as you can see from the fact that GUTV still occasionally shows highlights of the Governator speaking here over a year ago, this is clearly not the case.

That’s not to say that I didn’t enjoy when Hayden Panettiere came in to talk to us about saving the . uh . whatever it was that she wanted to save. All that I’m saying is that it might have been a better idea for Georgetown to bring her in for, say, Georgetown Day’s beach volleyball tournament, as opposed to putting her up on stage in Gaston Hall and pretending that she’s some kind of an authority on anything other than acting and being really (really, really) good-looking.

I don’t want to give the impression that I don’t appreciate any of Georgetown’s efforts to entertain its students. I know everyone loves the inflatables on Georgetown Day, and last year’s foam party was awesome, even if it did come at the expense of a few cell phones. However, I wish that Georgetown would show a bit more effort when it comes to bringing in musical acts and speakers for its students.

Dan Finnegan is a sophomore in the College.