Wireless Coming to Copley Hall Soon, UIS Says

Copley Hall will be the latest dorm on campus to receive wireless Internet access when University Information Services activates the new services on March 11.

According to an email sent to residents by Associate Director of UIS Donna DeLay, Internet services in Copley Hall will experience occasional outages between the hours of 6 a.m. and 5 p.m on that day. The installations will affect all internet access, including computers available in the building’s computer labs.

Contractors will continue to work throughout the building while students are on spring break, DeLay said in the email.

Residents are thrilled that they would no longer need to rely on Ethernet cords to access the internet from their rooms.

“I’m really, really excited. I didn’t think [wireless Internet in all Georgetown dormitories] would happen in my time as a Georgetown student,” Copley resident Catherine Mullarney (COL ’13) said. “The idea of having no Internet access as a student is daunting, and the cords are just really frustrating to deal with, so not having to worry about them is awesome.”

UIS plans to install wireless internet service in all of Georgetown’s residential facilities by the end of the academic year. DeLay confirmed that UIS is on track to meet the goal set by University President John J. DeGioia in a Sept. 1 interview with The Hoya.

AirHoya, the wireless network that Georgetown students can access on campus, now provides full or partial wireless coverage for all academic buildings on campus as well as certain residential buildings — including parts of New South and the Southwest Quad. Students still use Ethernet cords in most dormitories.

Copley residents are pleased that their dormitories will be the next recipients of wireless internet access.

“I just saw the email and I posted it on my Facebook,” Mary Lim (SFS ’13) said. “I think [the wireless installation] is a sign that student affairs are listening to what students want, and I understand that Copley is an older building, but you hear about other schools already having wireless, so it’s nice to see progress being made.”