Over this season’s first five women’s basketball games, Georgetown fans have seen a lot of sophomore forward Kieraah arlow and freshman center Katrina Wheeler in the frontcourt – but they’ve seen little else from the rest of this Hoya squad.

The resurgence of seniors Bethany LeSueur, a guard, and Christine Whitt, a center, against Appalachian State (1-4) in the Hoyas’ most recent contest put Georgetown (4-2) in a promising position for Thursday’s game against Kentucky, however.

Coming into the game, the Kentucky Wildcats (5-0) sit on top of the Southeastern Conference in field goal percentage and three-point shooting. The Wildcat offense has been explosive in its five games this season against lower level non-conference opponents.

Junior guard Jenny Pfeiffer currently leads the Wildcats with 12 points per game and an exceptional 12-for-24 shooting performance this season from behind the arc. Pfeiffer missed most of her sophomore year due to illness, and is looking to make the most of her two remaining years of eligibility.

The Wildcats have spread their offense generously this year. Three players – Pfeiffer, sophomore guard Samantha Mahoney and freshman guard Carly Ormerod – have each contributed at least ten points per game, while a plethora of bench players have recorded big games.

Freshman center Sarah Elliott netted 19 points against Indiana State University on Nov. 11, and junior guard Nastassia Alcius posted 12 points against Florida International on Dec. 1.

The Wildcats are tied with Tennessee atop the SEC standings, but have yet to face a challenge. They won their first five games by an average of 23 points.

Kentucky will be a telling test for Georgetown. After an overtime loss to rival Fordham and a pick-me-up win over Division I-AA Appalachian State, Head Coach Terri Williams-Flournoy will have to have her small team focused against an offense that is scoring 75 points per game with conference-best three-point shooting.

LeSueur and junior guard Katie Carlin will have responsibility for guarding Pfeiffer when she is on the floor. Pfeiffer has been as accurate behind the arc this season as she has in front of it, and whoever is guarding her will have to respect her ability to shoot from anywhere on the floor.

Against Appalachian State, Wheeler and Whitt used their height to dominate a much smaller team.

Whitt recorded six blocks in the first half of that game, but she will have a hard time coming close to that total against the Kentucky backcourt of 6-foot-6 Elliott and 6-foot-3 senior forward Jennifer Humphrey.

After characteristic offensive performances against Appalachian State from LeSueur (19 points) and Carlin (10 points), the Hoyas will need big games from those two and more of the usual from arlow and Wheeler against Kentucky, in a match that could quickly turn into a shootout.

The game will be a barometer for both teams, with the Wildcats looking to keep pace with perennial final-four team and division rival Tennessee, and Georgetown trying to get a good sense of where its eight players will take them this season.

Tip-off is scheduled for Thursday at 7 p.m. in Lexington, Ky.