Wet Weather Spoils Opening Tournament

Courtesy Christy Larrimore Sophomore Christy Larrimore pops her ball out of the bunker.

Amid rain and horrible course conditions, the Georgetown women’s golf team placed 21st out of 36 teams at the Ultimate Potential this past weekend at Baytree Golf Plantation in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

The tournament, which was held at Baytree due to unplayable course conditions at the original site, experienced a rain cancellation on Saturday. This forced the field to divide into two separate groups, the top 24 and the bottom 12. They then played as if there were two separate tournaments and fit the 54-hole event into 36. Georgetown finished second in the bottom 12, behind Radford University. When the NCAA compiled all the scores from the tournament, the Hoyas found themselves 21st overall.

“We actually got to come home with a trophy,” head coach Leland Beckel said.

Coastal Carolina stole the event with a two-day total of 602 (296, 306). James Madison University pulled in at second with 615 (306, 309) followed closely by the College of Charleston with 616 (308, 308).

Georgetown set a record on Sunday by shooting a combined 315, four strokes better than their performance at the Hoya Invitational and at the Ultimate last year. Combined with Friday’s 333, the Hoyas shot a total of 648, two strokes out of 20th.

The team performed well individually. Junior Connie Isler posted 80 and 81 and sophomore Nicole Hayashi shot 84 and 77 – both for a combined 162. Freshman Maggie Ward recorded an 85 on Friday followed by a 77 on Sunday for 162, while sophomore Christy Larrimore posted 84 and 80 for a 164.

“While our goal was top 20, I felt the girls rose to the occasion very well,” Beckel said. “It was very wet and there was casual water everywhere, and I told them to be patient. We were right in there the whole time.”

Beckel also noted that only four strokes separated Georgetown from 17th place.

“We have a good squad and after picking up a lot of ground on teams on Sunday, we’re on our way to accomplishing our goals,” she said.

This is the third season that Georgetown has competed in Division I golf and the second recruiting cycle for Beckel.

Georgetown’s next tournament will be the Princeton Invitational held in Princeton, N.J. during the weekend of Sept. 27-28.