The tennis teams’ ups and downs in their two matches this weekend resembled Head Coach Gordie Ernst’s travel itinerary along the East Coast.

On Friday, Ernst and the men’s squad dominated St. Joseph’s 6-1 in Philadelphia, while on Sunday the women dropped a 6-1 decision to Big East foe Pittsburgh closer to home in Arlington, Va.

On the men’s side, Ernst and the Hoyas (4-3) ” though recently featured in Sports Illustrated’s ‘Ad-In’section for their 5-2 victory over Navy ” looked as though their fortunes might be headed south at the outset of the dual match against the 4-2 Hawks. Georgetown lost the doubles point as they dropped all three matches in less than 40 minutes each.

‘We have been playing good doubles, but the guys chose to think [St. Joseph’s] might not compete.’Ernst said. ‘We came out flat.’/p>

But after Ernst ‘gave them a little talk,’things started to turn around, albeit slowly. Freshman Anthony Tan lost his first set at No. 1 singles, and junior Jeff Schnell fell behind in his first set at No. 2. But after freshman Will Lowell righted the ship with a straight-set victory, it was smooth sailing for Georgetown.

‘We’re a meat-and-potatoes kind of team,’Ernst said. ‘We can’t think we’re French food. We have to work for every point.’/p>

Sophomore Adam Gross won his match in straight sets to put the Hoyas ahead, and Schnell overcame his early deficit to beat freshman Matt Glascow in two tiebreaker sets, 7-6, 7-6.

Tan put Georgetown up 4-1 to secure the dual match, coming from behind to defeat St. Joseph’s freshman Chris Chirico, who was highly ranked on the junior tennis circuit. Tan settled into the match after not being aggressive enough in the first set of 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 win.

‘Tan gave [Chirico] too much respect. Sometimes he gets caught up in rankings or reputations, but I think he’s starting to realize that he can be one of the best players in the league,’Ernst said.

With the dual match decided, victories from freshman David Tillem and junior Ted Tywang in the fifth- and sixth-position matches put an exclamation point on the victory.

As smoothly as things flowed on the men’s side, they fell apart for the women. The Hoyas (1-5, 0-1) fell to a tough Panthers squad (2-0, 1-0), although Ernst saw some promise in his team’s play in spite of the lopsided score.

‘I give Pittsburgh a lot of credit; they’re so athletic,’Ernst said. ‘I’m not disappointed with the result.’/p>

On the doubles side, junior Stephanie Cohen and sophomore Courtney Olsen won their match 8-6. The Hoyas dropped the other two doubles matches and headed into the singles play down 1-0.

Pittsburgh proved too strong for Georgetown, despite strong play from some of the Hoyas’ top positions. At No. 1 singles, Olsen lost a tight two-setter 7-5, 6-4 against sophomore Kristy Borza, one of the top players in the Big East. Cohen won her match at No. 2 doubles for Georgetown’s only point of the day 6-3, 6-1.

The women will look for their first win of the Big East campaign when they take on Seton Hall (2-0) Friday at the Army-Navy Country Club in Arlington, Va. The match is set for 6 p.m.

The men have two weeks to rest before they face Richmond (3-5) on Feb. 25 at the Army-Navy Country Club. The Hoyas beat Richmond 3-0 Jan. 28 at the Virginia Commonwealth 4+1 tournament.