Waka Flocka Flame to Headline GPB Spring Concert

GEORGETOWN PROGRAM BOARD

Waka Flocka Flame is set to headline the Georgetown Program Board’s annual spring concert April 6 in McDonough Arena. Basstracks and Phoebe Ryan will open, and Georgetown Cabaret, a student rock and pop cover band, is also set to perform at the concert.

Tickets are currently available from GPB, with the price set at $5.

A former protege of Gucci Mane, Atlanta rapper Waka Flocka Flame rose to prominence in 2009 with singles such as “O Let’s Do It” and “No Hands,” which peaked at No. 13 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in 2010. Waka Flocka Flame, who is signed with Atlantic Records, has been nominated for four BET Awards, winning one.

GEORGETOWN PROGRAM BOARD

Waka Flocka Flame is said to be working on a studio album titled “Flockaveli II,” the official follow-up to his 2010 album “Flockaveli,” and his first album since “Triple F Life: Friends, Fans & Family” in 2012.

Waka Flocka Flame also notably launched a short-lived, evidently lighthearted, presidential campaign in 2015. At 29 years old, he did not meet the constitutionally mandated age requirement for presidential candidates.

Ryan, aged 27, is a singer and songwriter signed with Columbia Records, who notably collaborated with The Chainsmokers in 2016 on the song “All We Know,” which peaked at No. 18 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100. She has released two EPS and has written songs for Britney Spears, Wyclef Jean, The Chainsmokers and All Time Low.

Brasstracks, consisting of  trumpeter Ivan Jackson and drummer Conor Rayne, have produced songs for 2 Chainz and Lil Wayne and have released their own singles, including “Say We Won’t.”

Past performers at the GPB Spring Concert have included rapper Wiz Khalifa, who performed in 2013 and 2016, Norwegian DJ Matoma and electronic musician Cheat Codes in 2017, DJ Viceroy in 2016, rapper Big Sean and DJ White Panda in 2014 and electronic musician Calvin Harris in 2013.