Volume IV: #Classic

hermione-rasing-her-hand-harry-potter-movies-16644488-1383-2100

Hey Amy,

I’m a current sophomore in the College who definitely took on some more on-campus stuff that I should have freshman year. It’s getting to be a lot, especially now that I have leadership positions in some of them. It’s gotten to the point where I have to sacrifice time I would’ve usually given to doing work to being available for all of these club and organization things. Sometimes, I wonder if I’m taking too much on, because the last time I’ve seen my core group of friends and done something like go out to dinner was about a month ago, when school wasn’t really picking up.

I worry a lot, running around for all of these clubs, that I’m so immersed in my work that I’m forgetting to spend time with people, what I thought was one of the most interesting, and definitely most important part of my college experience (aside from grades). On the other hand, I’m definitely not worried about having enough on my resume or not having that internship that’s going to set me up with a job in the field that I want to work in.

Am I doing too much? Am I worrying too much? I’m so stressed, Amy; I’d really appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Speed Reading Week-Old Handouts in Sellinger

Dear Speed Reading,

Some people love to be super busy all the time, and you sound like one of those people. I have some friends who feel like they’re wasting time if they’re not involved in clubs while others like to be part of one club and spend they’re free time relaxing, exercising and getting ahead on school work.

It’s really more based on the person so you shouldn’t compare yourself to other friends. But, I would still try to make time for your core group of friends because those are usually the friends that will be there for you when someone in your club takes the position you want or when you are just fed up with the people in the clubs.

Everyone has a different experience at this school. It’s one of the things that makes it so great and so rewarding. Trust yourself enough to go against the current sometimes. You might find that, in the end, you’ll be better off because of it in the end.

Xoxo,

Amy

Hi Amy,

I’m a freshman in New South this year. I’ve slowly been getting used to living on campus and college life and everything, but there’s definitely one thing that’s been on my mind lately that I can’t seem to stop thinking about. I live in a corner of the floor with a lot of other guys, and literally every weekend, someone’s bringing an ‘overnight guest’ back to their room. The day after, we literally talk and joke about it like it’s no big deal. 

I mean, I’d consider myself a pretty normal guy. I’ve had maybe one or two girlfriends since high school, but nothing at all serious. And I’ve definitely never met a girl at a party, taken her home and hooked up without even getting to know her or something. It seems so weird to me, how casual everyone is about it. I try not to act so out of place, when these conversations happen and stories get traded, but I think some of the other guys are getting on to the fact that I still haven’t had a fling or a relationship or anything like that since coming to Georgetown. I’m worried they’re going to think the worst of me and kick me out of the friend group because I don’t do anything like that. 

I’m really worried, Amy. It’s not like I don’t want to do those things. I just don’t know how; I don’t know where to start. Is it something you just jump in and do? Because it seems like everyone around here is a seasoned veteran.

Please help,

Netflixing and Avoiding The Common Room on Weekends

Dear Netflixing,

Relax. You are not going to get kicked out of any friend group or looked down upon because you aren’t bringing back guests every night. For one thing, you don’t even know what your guy friends are doing with these “overnight guests” — they could be going back to watch Netflix themselves, getting used for free alcohol, or literally just cuddling. Freshmen boys tend to elaborate on their nightly adventures to make themselves seem more suave with the ladies than they usually are. Trust me. I’ve seen my share of the sort.

If you want to hook up with a random girl then go for a DFMO. Or meet a nice girl and talk to her at a party and see where it goes. Don’t be creepy and don’t be too forward just relax and let it happen.

Finally, there’s nothing wrong with meeting a girl through a friend or a club and asking her out on a date! Where’s the chivalry! Whatever happened to boys and girls taking a few weeks before jumping on top of each other!? Why don’t you, good sir, be the first freshman boy in the history of forever to get a head start on what actual adults do to acquire a spouse in the real world. If anything else, it’ll win you some points with the ladies.

Xoxo,

Amy

S8nve6i9IjgxAmy is an eighth year student majoring in High Yield Staple-Gunning and Political Cartoon Theory in the McCourt School of Public Policy. Originally hailing from the eastern province of Qaqortoq, Greenland, she has traveled the world absorbing culture, leading protests, and, as always, hunting for the perfect man to clean her pool, mix her drinks, and model her upcoming line of faux-fur compression shorts.