VOLLEYBALL | West Coast Road Trip Awaits GU

n tournament, are led by senior outside hitter Eryn Kirby. The Hornets have put up a fight in each of their games, losing by small margins to talented teams. Despite its unimpressive record, Sacramento State will not be an easy win for the Blue and Gray.

After Sacramento State, the Hoyas play UT-Arlington Saturday afternoon. The Mavericks have already shown their problems with consistency, especially when it comes to blocking. The streaky UT-Arlington squad is hard to predict but would pose a major challenge for Georgetown if it brings its A-game.

There is no question that the Hoyas’ biggest obstacle comes in the form of the hosts, the No. 1 ranked Golden Bears.

“They [Cal] bring back some very experienced players,” Williams said, “[including] some that trained with the national team and the A-2 team this past summer. They don’t have a whole lot of holes to fill [in the lineup].”

Undefeated so far this season, California enters the tournament fresh off a sweep of Long Island, Virginia and East Carolina in the Holiday Inn Jefferson Cup. California’s biggest weapon is sophomore outside and opposite hitter Adrienne Gehan, a high school All-American and All-Pac 10 player. Along with senior outside hitter Tarah Murrey, Gehan leads a team that truly deserves its claim to a national number-one ranking.

Despite the roster of tough opponents, there are still many reasons for the Hoyas to be confident going into this tournament. Not only has their momentum swelled with a swift victory over Virginia Commonwealth Tuesday night, but the Hoyas have shown their talent on both defensive and offensive sides of play.

“We serve extremely competitively, we play great defense,” Williams said. “And more importantly, we are Georgetown.”

Georgetown’s first game is at 10 p.m. E.S.T. on Friday.

Fresh off a victory in their home opener, the Georgetown volleyball team (4-2) takes their show on the road with a trip this weekend to the West Coast. The Blue and Gray will participate in the Hilton Garden Inn Classic in Berkeley, Calif., facing off against some of the nation’s strongest programs.

“We’re playing really good volleyball right now, so I think that we’ll be challenged with the quality of the teams [in this tournament],” Head Coach Arlisa Williams said, “Our players are up for it, and I’m looking forward to the challenge.”

Over the course of the two-day tournament, which begins this Friday, Georgetown will face off against Sacramento State (3-3), Texas-Arlington  (2-6) and number-one ranked California (6-0, 0-0 Pacific-12).

“[The other teams] are going to be big and strong, usually the teams that are in the top in the country are, so we’re going to have to overcome some players that are going to be more physical than us,” Williams said. “But, I think that if we can serve past and play defense, we’re going to be able to hang with them.”

Georgetown first faces off against Sacramento State Friday night. The Hornets, coming off of a loss in their own tournament, are led by senior outside hitter Eryn Kirby. The Hornets have put up a fight in each of their games, losing by small margins to talented teams. Despite its unimpressive record, Sacramento State will not be an easy win for the Blue and Gray.

After Sacramento State, the Hoyas play UT-Arlington Saturday afternoon. The Mavericks have already shown their problems with consistency, especially when it comes to blocking. The streaky UT-Arlington squad is hard to predict but would pose a major challenge for Georgetown if it brings its A-game.

There is no question that the Hoyas’ biggest obstacle comes in the form of the hosts, the No. 1 ranked Golden Bears.